• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents of non-married parent.. Grandparent Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTEPAN

What is the name of your state? California

I have a 7 yr old grandaughter whos parents were never married and no custody or support case has ever been files. The fater has been in and out of jail for over half her life. After one weekend visit that my daughter allowed, he refussed to give her back. The fathers current wife has also been in and out of jail and my grandaughter stayed with her parents (non-blood realitive) The first 3 yrs of my gran daughter life she spent alot of time with my wife and I. Is there anything I can do so that WHEN one or both go to jail again my grandaughter can stay with blood grandparents? Over the past 4 yrs I had no idea where or the welfare of my grandaughter up untill 5 weeks ago when the father finally brought my grandaughter by our house. When asked if we could have the grandaughter over for for a day or two to visit and play with OUR 8 yr old son, he said only if he was by her side at all times, under the circumstances I dont want the father or his wife to spend to much time in or around our house due to their prison records. The father has also begun to tell my daughter she needs to spend more time with their daughter, but when she makes arangments to visit, he uses my grandaughter and a power tool over her and then states, that he will not allow her to be alone with my grandaughter. He stated today that my grandaughter doeesnt know me, and that was because of his refussal to allow us contact, even after Child Protective Services gave my wife and I temp. custody of my grandaughter when everyone in their household was in jail or prison. WHAT CAN WE DO if anything at all? Need direction BADLY Thank you

Last edited:

ceara19

What is the name of your state? California

I have a 7 yr old grandaughter whos parents were never married and no custody or support case has ever been files. The fater has been in and out of jail for over half her life. After one weekend visit that my daughter allowed, he refussed to give her back. The fathers current wife has also been in and out of jail and my grandaughter stayed with her parents (non-blood realitive) The first 3 yrs of my gran daughter life she spent alot of time with my wife and I. Is there anything I can do so that WHEN one or both go to jail again my grandaughter can stay with blood grandparents? Over the past 4 yrs I had no idea where or the welfare of my grandaughter up untill 5 weeks ago when the father finally brought my grandaughter by our house. When asked if we could have the grandaughter over for for a day or two to visit and play with OUR 8 yr old son, he said only if he was by her side at all times, under the circumstances I dont want the father or his wife to spend to much time in or around our house due to their prison records. The father has also begun to tell my daughter she needs to spend more time with their daughter, but when she makes arangments to visit, he uses my grandaughter and a power tool over her and then states, that he will not allow her to be alone with my grandaughter. He stated today that my grandaughter doeesnt know me, and that was because of his refussal to allow us contact, even after Child Protective Services gave my wife and I temp. custody of my grandaughter when everyone in their household was in jail or prison. WHAT CAN WE DO if anything at all? Need direction BADLY Thank you
Why has your daughter not taken legal action against him? SHE is the one that needs to deal with this situation.

CJane

his refussal to allow us contact, even after Child Protective Services gave my wife and I temp. custody of my grandaughter when everyone in their household was in jail or prison.
How long ago did CPS give you temp custody?

Call THEM.

LTEPAN

Why has your daughter not taken legal action against him? SHE is the one that needs to deal with this situation.
That's a good question, she told me the other day that she needed to, but where she lives she no transportation ton getting to the courthouse, so we'll see.

LTEPAN

How long ago did CPS give you temp custody?

Call THEM.
It was back in 98 / 99 when CPS did that and I had thought about calling the Social Worker if anything else to maybe get a statement from her if and when needed.

ceara19

That's a good question, she told me the other day that she needed to, but where she lives she no transportation ton getting to the courthouse, so we'll see.
Have you offered to help her out with transportation? SHE really needs to be the one handling this. If they were never married and there has never been any court action, how in the hell did he end up with the child in the first place, especially after CPS got involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">