• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternal grandparents have custody of my son. Can I petion the court f/ custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hild36

This is a real hard thing to explain, but I'll be brief. My ex husband and I gave custody of our son 14 years ago to the paternal grandparents,because we were being divorce by them and under, our then circumstances we were not able to provide for him at the time. And they asked for us to give them custody which at the time we did not know the implications of the matter and we were deceived. They have manipulated me and my son to the point that I could hardly ever see him and until this point now he was allowed just last week to be with me over the weekend. He wants to be with me permanently and they keep telling him that he has no say in it. And that it is not up to him. The grandmother is telling him that from now on he is not able to come over but only one night every two weeks and if he doesn't like it then he won't be allowed to come over at all. I'm remarried and have three girls and have a stable family. I don't do drugs or drink or smoke and I'm an active member of my church here in Miami, Florida. I fed up with her controlling and manipulating me and my son and I want to know what are my rights as the natural mother and if I have a chance at family court to get my son back? My ex husband will like to get joint custody with me. Please let me know what I can do? Hilda

[Edited by hild36 on 03-22-2001 at 12:12 AM]

L

LadyBlu

hild36 said:
This is a real hard thing to explain, but I'll be brief. My ex husband and I gave custody of our son 14 years ago to the paternal grandparents,because we were being divorce by them and under, our then circumstances we were not able to provide for him at the time. And they asked for us to give them custody which at the time we did not know the implications of the matter and we were deceived. They have manipulated me and my son to the point that I could hardly ever see him and until this point now he was allowed just last week to be with me over the weekend. He wants to be with me permanently and they keep telling him that he has no say in it. And that it is not up to him. The grandmother is telling him that from now on he is not able to come over but only one night every two weeks and if he doesn't like it then he won't be allowed to come over at all. I'm remarried and have three girls and have a stable family. I don't do drugs or drink or smoke and I'm an active member of my church here in Miami, Florida. I fed up with her controlling and manipulating me and my son and I want to know what are my rights as the natural mother and if I have a chance at family court to get my son back? My ex husband will like to get joint custody with me. Please let me know what I can do? Hilda

[Edited by hild36 on 03-22-2001 at 12:12 AM]
Sounds to me like the child is at least 14 yrs of age. Beings he is, his wishes in a court hearing would weigh heavily on a judges decision granting custody. If you have proof of attempts at visitation that have been denied by the grandparents, that alone is grounds for revising the existing custody agreement. I am sure that if you and your ex split the cost of the atty that you could take this issue to court and win back the custody/care of your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">