• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liam1o

The mother of my child has not been in my sons life for the last 2 almost 3 years. I've been raising him since he was 6 months old and even when she had visitation she didn't show up. We established paternity through the courts, however now she claims that I may not be the father to other people. I'm being told that she or the possible other father may try to force a paternity test. Can the state force me and my son to take a paternity test against our will? am I allowed to say they may not take my sons DNA with full custody?

Just Blue

The mother of my child has not been in my sons life for the last 2 almost 3 years. I've been raising him since he was 6 months old and even when she had visitation she didn't show up. We established paternity through the courts, however now she claims that I may not be the father to other people. I'm being told that she or the possible other father may try to force a paternity test. Can the state force me and my son to take a paternity test against our will? am I allowed to say they may not take my sons DNA with full custody?
Being "told" by whom? And why is Mom so intent to disestablish paternity?

Also, the established paternity was verbal not with an actual paternity test
Clarify this please. Are you the LEGAL Father? Are you listed as father on the BC?

LdiJ

Being "told" by whom? And why is Mom so intent to disestablish paternity?

Clarify this please. Are you the LEGAL Father? Are you listed as father on the BC?
He said his paternity was established through the courts, just not with a DNA test. Apparently everybody agreed in court that he was dad...or mom was a no show.

LdiJ

You erased the question that asked what state you were in, and state law varies. However, its likely that the biological father could try to establish his paternity (assuming that you are not actually the biological father). I would suggest that you consider doing a home DNA test to see where you stand. If it comes back that you are the biological father then you have nothing to worry about at all. It you are not, then contact a local attorney for advice as to how to best protect your legal paternity.

Just Blue

You erased the question that asked what state you were in, and state law varies. However, its likely that the biological father could try to establish his paternity (assuming that you are not actually the biological father). I would suggest that you consider doing a home DNA test to see where you stand. If it comes back that you are the biological father then you have nothing to worry about at all. It you are not, then contact a local attorney for advice as to how to best protect your legal paternity.
No...That was on the first post. :)

Liam1o

Paternity was established by both myself and his mother stating that I was the father without a doubt. She now is claiming that another man is the father to the mans mother while in a halfway house with her. It's gotten all the way back to me that she's saying this to numerous people. I have raised my son myself so I don't intend to allow anyone to take him from me because regardless of what a paternity test says I know I'm him father and I'll still be his father even if it says otherwise. As far as the at home paternity test, can you please tell me how I can find one? How much they run generally speaking?

LdiJ

Paternity was established by both myself and his mother stating that I was the father without a doubt. She now is claiming that another man is the father to the mans mother while in a halfway house with her. It's gotten all the way back to me that she's saying this to numerous people. I have raised my son myself so I don't intend to allow anyone to take him from me because regardless of what a paternity test says I know I'm him father and I'll still be his father even if it says otherwise. As far as the at home paternity test, can you please tell me how I can find one? How much they run generally speaking?
Google "home paternity test" There are about a gazillion options. It looks like you can get them from Walmart and CVS as well. Then you send them off to whatever lab they instruct you to send them to and get the results.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, actually..... If you are NOT the father, a court could certainly make you give up the child. Sorry, but that is the reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">