• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Affidavit never signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachel.devasier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

What does it mean if a father is on the birth certificate, but a paternity affidavit was never signed? She was born out of wedlock, the hospital doesn't have one on file.

I also need to know how to go about changing my daughter's last name back to mine. It was originally mine, but we changed it when we had plans of getting married. It was a hasty decision because the plans fell through, he's no longer a part of her life (he rarely, if ever, makes an effort to be), and that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. She's getting ready to start school, and I just think it would be easier on her if she had the same last name as me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What does it mean if a father is on the birth certificate, but a paternity affidavit was never signed? She was born out of wedlock, the hospital doesn't have one on file.

I also need to know how to go about changing my daughter's last name back to mine. It was originally mine, but we changed it when we had plans of getting married. It was a hasty decision because the plans fell through, he's no longer a part of her life (he rarely, if ever, makes an effort to be), and that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. She's getting ready to start school, and I just think it would be easier on her if she had the same last name as me.
It means a paternity affidavit WAS signed. As to the name, it's a simple fix. Change YOUR name.

LdiJ

It means a paternity affidavit WAS signed. As to the name, it's a simple fix. Change YOUR name.
Do you realize how complicated it would be for an adult to change their last name? Not the process, but the switching of everything afterwards?

I agree that a paternity affidavit had to have been signed. I do not think however that hospitals normally keep those on file, I believe they go to the state vital records division.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Do you realize how complicated it would be for an adult to change their last name? Not the process, but the switching of everything afterwards?

I agree that a paternity affidavit had to have been signed. I do not think however that hospitals normally keep those on file, I believe they go to the state vital records division.
Yep.. that is where they go. So the hospital wouldn't have it. Nor would they have a copy of the birth certificate.

Zigner

I thought we were rooting for the best interest of the child... :confused:

LdiJ

I thought we were rooting for the best interest of the child... :confused:
I don't necessarily think that having the same last name as an absentee parent is in the best interest of the child. You say that to a lot of parents without any differentiation as to the details of the individual situation. Some parents really do deserve the flippancy, others have valid reasons for their questions whether its possible to do or not.

Just Blue

I have two children by the same Dad. One has my last name and one has her fathers last name. It has NEVER been difficult. For either of us. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

I don't necessarily think that having the same last name as an absentee parent is in the best interest of the child. You say that to a lot of parents without any differentiation as to the details of the individual situation. Some parents really do deserve the flippancy, others have valid reasons for their questions whether its possible to do or not.
LD...With all do respect.

A rose by any other name is still your child. (paraphrasing).

Zigner

I don't necessarily think that having the same last name as an absentee parent is in the best interest of the child.
How is it good for mom to play musical names? What happens when she finally does get married?

You say that to a lot of parents without any differentiation as to the details of the individual situation.
That's not true - I say it when the situation warrants.

LdiJ

He's had it his whole life...it's all he knows. Additionally, what happens when mom remarries and takes her new husband's name?

That's not true - I say it when the situation warrants.
SHE is just starting school so she is pretty young yet. I might agree with you if she was older, and had an opinion and didn't want her name changed. Who says that mom is going to remarry?...and who says that mom is going to take her husband's last name if she does? I am seeing more and more clients every year where the husband and wife do not have the same last name.

Zigner

SHE is just starting school so she is pretty young yet.
Gender pronouns aside...I agree...the child is young. Mom has already changed her name once...why should mom change it again? Oh yeah, vanity.

I might agree with you if she was older, and had an opinion and didn't want her name changed. Who says that mom is going to remarry?...and who says that mom is going to take her husband's last name if she does?
Mom's got a history already - she changed her child's name in anticipation of getting married. Of course she's going to change it once she's actually married.

FlyingRon

Much easier than changing the child's name without involving the father.

Frankly, I've been the father figure for all intents and purposes with my children (and my wife has taken my last name which is different than the kids) and it's never been an issue. In fact, the DMV and the courts were happy to accept me as a parent even though they probably should not have,.

Just Blue

Much easier than changing the child's name without involving the father.

Frankly, I've been the father figure for all intents and purposes with my children (and my wife has taken my last name which is different than the kids) and it's never been an issue. In fact, the DMV and the courts were happy to accept me as a parent even though they probably should not have,.
I honestly don't understand this "name" thing. It really, IMHO, is irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">