• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity establishment after 7yrs in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pprovance

Ohio-I have a 7 yr old daughter born out of wedlock. At time of birth the father denied paternity to family and friends, including his children from a previous marriage (he is not on the birth certificate). I continued living with him for approximately 5yrs asking him repeatedly to "do the right thing" and establish paternity, trying to give my daughter some "sense of a family"(he was still denying to all the entire time)till I left approximately two years ago. He became stalker like towards her and me till I threatened to file harrassment charges, telling him all along that all he had to do was make his paternity legal. I had not heard from him in almost 11 months, and I just received notification for DNA testing and have heard he plans to file for custody. Does he have any parental rights after denying it consistently for seven years, does he even have a chance at custody or liberal visitation? Provided he does recieve visitation, do I have any recourse for back child support? In all honesty I would much rather do without the child support if it would mean lack of contact (my daughter has a very strong father figure in her life now and I am pregnant and was looking forward to raising her in this family environment). Any advice given would be greatly appreciated, including how quickly I should be finding an attorney. Thank you in advance for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">