• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity establishment in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nuggetsdad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

So I have a situation where I am currently dating a woman who is technically still married. She is starting the proccess of the divorce/dissolution paperwork (she told him previously but due to medical issues and a hope for an amicable split they held off on the official papers). Where the line has now become blurry and where our questions lie, is in the fact that she is now pregnant. There is no question that it is mine and not her husband's. We have been to talk to a few lawyers just to try to get a feel about things like spousal support, housing, etc. We are aware that in Ohio the seperation can not occur until after the child's birth and establishment of paternity. Here is however where our questions come into play...One lawyer (who I think we will end up going with) told us that 1.)there is an affadavit that we would both sign at the hospital which would put my name on the birth certificate and would in essence establish that I am the biological father and 2.) In the final seperation agreement I have to take part and (in so may words) sign off on the papers that I am accepting the paternity, thus making myself a third party and ultimately costing extra in the fees.

Another lawyer told us that there was no such thing as a third party in a dissolution/divorce and that we had been misled. He also said that the affadavit will make no difference and that a paternity test was needed for the courts to accept that the husband was not the father.

I was hoping that someone could give me a third opinion on who is right here. Is the affadavit an option (and can we do it early to speed things up on the diss/div)? and is there presidence for the "third party"?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Perky

So I have a situation where I am currently dating a woman who is technically still married. She is starting the proccess of the divorce/dissolution paperwork (she told him previously but due to medical issues and a hope for an amicable split they held off on the official papers). Where the line has now become blurry and where our questions lie, is in the fact that she is now pregnant. There is no question that it is mine and not her husband's. We have been to talk to a few lawyers just to try to get a feel about things like spousal support, housing, etc. We are aware that in Ohio the seperation can not occur until after the child's birth and establishment of paternity. Here is however where our questions come into play...One lawyer (who I think we will end up going with) told us that 1.)there is an affadavit that we would both sign at the hospital which would put my name on the birth certificate and would in essence establish that I am the biological father and 2.) In the final seperation agreement I have to take part and (in so may words) sign off on the papers that I am accepting the paternity, thus making myself a third party and ultimately costing extra in the fees.

Another lawyer told us that there was no such thing as a third party in a dissolution/divorce and that we had been misled. He also said that the affadavit will make no difference and that a paternity test was needed for the courts to accept that the husband was not the father.

I was hoping that someone could give me a third opinion on who is right here. Is the affadavit an option (and can we do it early to speed things up on the diss/div)? and is there presidence for the "third party"?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The affidavit can only be signed under the following conditions if the mother is married:
Frequently Asked Questions (linked from ODJFS)
I'm getting a divorce. My husband is not the father of my child, so why is the hospital telling me I have to put his name on the birth certificate? The real father is here and he wants to be on the birth certificate.

In Ohio, if a woman is married at the time of birth or at any time during the 300 days prior to birth, the husband is considered to be the legal father of the child. The hospital may not put the "real"/biological father's name on the birth certificate.

However, if the mother got divorced during her pregnancy, and the divorce decree states that the husband is not the father of the child, the mother should provide the hospital with a copy of the finalized divorce decree at the time of her child's birth. The mother and the biological father may then complete an Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit at the hospital if they wish.
So, if she can get a divorce while pregnant, you can sign at the hospital. Otherwise, you'll have to wait.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hospitals in Ohio per law have to put hubby's name on the birth certificate. You cannot sign the AOP. I have done divorces where I have brought third parties into it -- named them in the caption and the whole bit -- and it can be done. Your girlfriend can file for divorce and you can file to intervene in her divorce by establishing paternity of the child that is hers. So yes it is possible to have a third party divorce.

However the hospital knowing she is married is NOT allowed to have you sign the AOP. You would have to join the divorce and petition for a paternity test. When all that is done she will be granted a divorce, paternity will be established and you will go from there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The affidavit can only be signed under the following conditions if the mother is married:

So, if she can get a divorce while pregnant, you can sign at the hospital. Otherwise, you'll have to wait.
She cannot get a divorce while pregnant unless she commits fraud.

nuggetsdad

Thanks for the input guys...we are trying to find the easiest way to do this.

Now, is it law that a paternity test be done if all partys agree that the child is not the husband's? and do I have to do a paternity test in order to in the future change the birth certificate (if possible) to my name?

I am going with the conclusion that the husband's name will be put on the birth certificate and that the divorce will be concluded with the child's birth...

Thanks alot again guys

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for the input guys...we are trying to find the easiest way to do this.

Now, is it law that a paternity test be done if all partys agree that the child is not the husband's? and do I have to do a paternity test in order to in the future change the birth certificate (if possible) to my name?

I am going with the conclusion that the husband's name will be put on the birth certificate and that the divorce will be concluded with the child's birth...

Thanks alot again guys

YOu can declare in court under oath that you are the child's father and by a propensity of the evidence the court can declare you daddy. Especially if mom and hubby testify that hubby is not the father and you are. And i fyou are a party, the court can order the birth certificate changed as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">