• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuppiecake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Hello I am hoping someone might be able to explain to me the wording of the subpoena.

page 1
the defendant is ordered to show cause why genetic testing to determine paternity should not be issued.

page 2
the defendant is required to show cause why SHE should not submit genetic testing to determine issue of paternity.

page 3
i am ordered to appear personally at juvenile court, before a hearing officer.

I am mom and applied for state aid 18 months ago. I was denied because they could not locate dad. I am assuming now that they have found him, and he is denying our daughter.

Non of the paper work said anything about bringing my child to this appearance, her DNA has NOT been collected by the state.

So I am not really sure what this means. And I guess my question is what will this hearing be about? What will happen if he doesnt show?

Thanks in advance for any help and clarity you can provide.

Edited to add
my child is almost 9. Dad was in jail when she was born so he did not sign an AOP, we did live together for about 10 months after he got out of jail when she was still an infant. She knows that he is her dad, although she doesn't know him, as he never choose to come around when he was not in jail.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Hello I am hoping someone might be able to explain to me the wording of the subpoena.

page 1
the defendant is ordered to show cause why genetic testing to determine paternity should not be issued.

page 2
the defendant is required to show cause why SHE should not submit genetic testing to determine issue of paternity.

page 3

I am mom and applied for state aid 18 months ago. I was denied because they could not locate dad. I am assuming now that they have found him, and he is denying our daughter.

Non of the paper work said anything about bringing my child to this appearance, her DNA has NOT been collected by the state.

So I am not really sure what this means. And I guess my question is what will this hearing be about? What will happen if he doesnt show?

Many of your questions are answered here: http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&nid=151&pnid=150&pid=142

Don't bring your child to court unless you are expressly told to do so.

Isis1

page 1

page 2

page 3

Edited to add
my child is almost 9. Dad was in jail when she was born so he did not sign an AOP, we did live together for about 10 months after he got out of jail when she was still an infant. She knows that he is her dad, although she doesn't know him, as he never choose to come around when he was not in jail.
call the office to clarify. if he is denying her, he is court ordered appear and supply his DNA for testing. bring your child as well if advised to do so by the child support office.

if he doesn't show, there is a chance he can be ruled as dad by default.

Last edited:

cuppiecake

the link had a small paragraph about testing and the rest was about actual child support.

So this hearing is for him to give reasons why he dont think he should have to take a Paternity test?

this is all it says about testing

Genetic Testing
Prior to signing an acknowledgment of paternity, an alleged father is strongly encouraged to request a paternity test to establish beyond question that he is the biological father of the child. Child Support Enforcement contracts with two genetic testing laboratories and paternity tests cost $62.00 per person. In Louisiana, the probability of paternity must be 99.9% or higher. This is the highest probability requirement in the nation and provides for a higher accuracy rate in determining paternity.

the rest is about child support and the 2 addresses were where to mail payments

Last edited:

Silverplum

the link had a small paragraph about testing and the rest was about actual child support.
And this is a problem for you...?

Did you follow the other links on the page? Did you peruse the site and all it has to offer? :cool:

cuppiecake said:
So this hearing is for him to give reasons why he dont think he should have to take a Paternity test?
And you, also.

Silverplum

this is all it says about testing

Genetic Testing
Prior to signing an acknowledgment of paternity, an alleged father is strongly encouraged to request a paternity test to establish beyond question that he is the biological father of the child. Child Support Enforcement contracts with two genetic testing laboratories and paternity tests cost $62.00 per person. In Louisiana, the probability of paternity must be 99.9% or higher. This is the highest probability requirement in the nation and provides for a higher accuracy rate in determining paternity.

the rest is about child support and the 2 addresses were where to mail payments
I think you need your own attorney, to explain things to you and look up all details for you.

cuppiecake

yes I did and I googled as well which is how I found this site.

I was just wanting some clearer explanation on the wording and what i could expect. I am a single mom and do not have the funds to hire a lawyer.
I was hoping it would all be done in one day, as I have to take off work, and drive 1.5 hours away to this hearing.
And since I am no longer in need of state aid, I could really care less if he is determined to be the father or not.

But thanks for the help anyways.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
yes I did and I googled as well which is how I found this site.

I was just wanting some clearer explanation on the wording and what i could expect. I am a single mom and do not have the funds to hire a lawyer.
I was hoping it would all be done in one day, as I have to take off work, and drive 1.5 hours away to this hearing.
And since I am no longer in need of state aid, I could really care less if he is determined to be the father or not.

But thanks for the help anyways.
The state wants to collect from him what they paid to you as support for the child. You agreed to this when you accepted state aid. It doesn't matter how you feel about it.

cuppiecake

:/ he choose not to come around when he was not in jail. I know who her dad is, she knows who her dad is. It is his loss not being in her life.

So if he wants to deny her that is on him.

I will go to hearing because i was subpoena'd, not because i need a court to validate who my childs father is. I know who I slept with and when. :)

cuppiecake

nope. I was a teen when I got pregnant. So I was on my parents Insurance. And we have had private insurance her entire life. So no, I have not received any stare aid. And as I said. when I applied for it 18 mths ago. I was denied because I could not prove that he was the father. So I let it go. Was just subpoea'd today for this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

page 1

page 2

page 3

Edited to add
my child is almost 9. Dad was in jail when she was born so he did not sign an AOP, we did live together for about 10 months after he got out of jail when she was still an infant. She knows that he is her dad, although she doesn't know him, as he never choose to come around when he was not ia motn jail.
It is entirely possible that it is Dad bringing the motion. It seems as though OP is the respondent, which would make Dad the plaintiff. He wants to establish paternity, and that will likely lead to a motion for visitation - which is something he WILL get, in some shape or form. OP - when that happens, you will be expected to be both supportive and encouraging of the relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">