• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sn0wba11

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My wifes brother is now in jail for not paying child support. He has had a feeling that the children in question may be from another man, however the mother will not allow a Paternity test. Is this legal?

Grace_Adler

The thing is, he should have denied paternity when he first was contacted by CSE so he could get one. Now it may be too late. Even if he got a paternity now, the judge might still make him responsible.

He can take the child and get a paternity test done, he doesn't have to have the mother to get the test done, just him and the child(ren). It costs about $600 to have it done. He just needs to go somewhere where it will be accepted in court. LabCorp can do them. There is also another place that does them but I have to look for the number.

Like I said, I don't know if it will do any good but it's worth a shot. The best thing to do is for him to contact a family law attorney to help him. I can refer you to one if his case is in or around Craven County. Or he can call the bar association referral to get referred to one and will only be charged $35 for a consultation. The no. is 1-800-662-7660.

Also he can go online and look up the guidelines and his case at www.ncchildsupport.com

The link to the state statutes is: www.ncga.state.nc.us

If you need to know anything else just let me know. I'll try to answer as best I can.

B

Boxcarbill

Let me tell you a true story which came right up through the courts of Texas and finally was appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The U.S.S.C. denied cert (didn't hear the case) which meant the appeal court decision stood.

The facts in a nutshell. Mom and dad were married and three boys and one girl was born during the marriage. At the time of divorce, the petition for divorce alledged that "the following children were born or adopted during the marriage" and the names, date of birth, etc. were stated. Neither party challenged paternity at that time. The divorce decree found that the children were born or adopted during the marriage, set standard visitation, child support, etc..

Some years later, Dad remarried. Step mom is R.N.. So when step mom learned that one of the sons has cystic fibrosis and that neither mom nor dad has cystic fibrosis, step mom became suspicious. (Child support was several hundred dollars per month.) Dad and stepmom decided to have l paternity tests done on all four children. The results: daughter is the biological daughter but the three boys are not the biological children of dad but all three boys have are brothers. Daughter is a half sister, biologically.

Of course Dad and stepmom seek to undo the divorce degree which found Dad to be the father of all four children and to reduce child support based accordingly. ( Dad and stepmom also felt that they could no longer exercise visitations with the three boys but was willing to continue visitations with the daughter. The court would find that it was no longer in the children's best interest for Dad and stepmom to have visitation with the children.)

In a nutshell, Dad petition was denied. The time to challenge paternity is when it is asserted. The matter is res judicata. A court order was entered with the finding that all four children were born or adopted of the marriage; therefore the legal father of all four children is the husband. On appeal the appellate court upheld the trial court.

Like I said, the U.S.S.C. was presented with the opportunity to hear and reverse the case.
Motion for cert 1/7/2002
Disposition: Motion or Writ Denied

S

sn0wba11

I am sorry for this mishap.. but i just talked to my father in law and found out the true facts. My brother in law is actually in South Carolina but the case and child live in Ney Jersey. Does this make a difference?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">