• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Testing in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OP, I'm not convinced that your husband really IS this child's legal father. You stated that she was born prior to your marriage, so when and in what manner was paternity established?

Lovely Lotus

OP, I'm not convinced that your husband really IS this child's legal father. You stated that she was born prior to your marriage, so when and in what manner was paternity established?
He signed the voluntary acknowledgement of paternity, his names on her birth certificate, and has his last name.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
From another thread, so as to avoid hijacking...

I am sorry i dont want a man who threatened to kill me and my daughter to be known as her father when he hasnt been there for her. Oh, and he was sneaking around with another chick the day she was born.
However, he was apparently fine and dandy as Daddy material when you chose to sleep with him. That IS an issue you will have to address.

As for the sleeping around - neither of you have anything to be proud of.

With the situation, i have no choice but to explain to her when shes older. She will know hes not her father, but that doesnt mean he isnt her dady who kept her from being homeless and was giving me money for formula when her supposed real father was blowig.money on stupid crap.
She really should know already that he's not her father. If she's calling him Daddy, it's already a little late.

Ok. I was 17, just got out of a two year stint of a boarding school where i wasnt allowed to contact anyone and only saw my parents once that two years. I got ot, was having a wild streak, and just wanted to feel cared about. Was it stupid? Yes. Do i regrt it? No. My daughter is my lifesaver and i am a damn good mother from the circumstances. Atleast i raise my own children and make sure they have what they need. I bet yor life aint so perfect behind this facade you have on the board either, so those in glass houses should not throw stones.
Well... here's the thing... If you needed to rely on this other guy to buy stuff for your baby, you were NOT providing for your child(ren). When/if you break up with this guy, he can walk away from your 2yo w/o a backward glance. And THEN how do you intend to support yourself and your children?

As a parent of older teens, I hate to see young women in a position of reliance on anyone. If you're adult enough to have a child, you need to be adult enough to figure out how to support yourself and that child. You should not be in a position where you need a man to do so.

I also hate the thought that my son could get trapped in a situation such as your b/f is in. It's not right, and it's not fair.

Lovely Lotus

Well... here's the thing... If you needed to rely on this other guy to buy stuff for your baby, you were NOT providing for your child(ren). When/if you break up with this guy, he can walk away from your 2yo w/o a backward glance. And THEN how do you intend to support yourself and your children?

As a parent of older teens, I hate to see young women in a position of reliance on anyone. If you're adult enough to have a child, you need to be adult enough to figure out how to support yourself and that child. You should not be in a position where you need a man to do so.

I also hate the thought that my son could get trapped in a situation such as your b/f is in. It's not right, and it's not fair.
The ONLY reason he was buying her formula, was because I had THREE TIMES where my roomates dogs got ahold of my cans of formula, my bottles, etc and destroyed them. I am providing for my children. I buy them food, clothes, diapers, etc with money that I make doing odd jobs until my boyfriend gets a job. Only reason he doesn't have on, is because he quit the last one after needing knee surgery and physical therapy. I may not have been an adult when I had her, but I grew up fast. And FYI, it was his idea to have her call him daddy. Its just like an adoption situation, when you adopt a child at birth, no one knows what the appropriate age is to tell them they are adopted, if ever. He helped raise her since 5 months old, when she didn't know what was going on. I got her through her stranger anxiety after my husband left, and my boyfriend has been there to support us 100% just like I help take care of his two kids from a previous.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The ONLY reason he was buying her formula, was because I had THREE TIMES where my roomates dogs got ahold of my cans of formula, my bottles, etc and destroyed them. I am providing for my children. I buy them food, clothes, diapers, etc with money that I make doing odd jobs until my boyfriend gets a job. Only reason he doesn't have on, is because he quit the last one after needing knee surgery and physical therapy. I may not have been an adult when I had her, but I grew up fast.
Sweetheart - the point is that YOU should be working to support your children, not relying on your b/f to support you and a child that is not his. Because he CAN walk away and will owe you and that child NOTHING. He will only have to support the child he made with you. Period.

And FYI, it was his idea to have her call him daddy. Its just like an adoption situation, when you adopt a child at birth, no one knows what the appropriate age is to tell them they are adopted, if ever. He helped raise her since 5 months old, when she didn't know what was going on. I got her through her stranger anxiety after my husband left, and my boyfriend has been there to support us 100% just like I help take care of his two kids from a previous.
And that was a terrible idea that you, as her mother, should have nixed immediately. He is NOT her Daddy. Not until he does actually LEGALLY adopt her - which will not happen until you are legally married for a period of time. That is simply reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

nextwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lotus
And FYI, it was his idea to have her call him daddy. Its just like an adoption situation, when you adopt a child at birth, no one knows what the appropriate age is to tell them they are adopted, if ever.[/B] He helped raise her since 5 months old, when she didn't know what was going on. I got her through her stranger anxiety after my husband left, and my boyfriend has been there to support us 100% just like I help take care of his two kids from a previous.

Actually, we DO know. It's pretty universally agreed by all in the adoption community that a child should ALWAYS know if the person parenting them is or is not their bioparent. There are virtually NO experts, adoptees, or adoptive parents, who have done WHIT of reading and research, who believe bioparentage knowledge should be held back.

And NOBODY who has done appropriate readding of this era would advocate keeping adoption a secret.

If a child always knows, it is never a surprise.

Also, responsible adults with children should have a continguency plan for any unemployment periods of so little as three of so months. If you did not have back-up savings sufficient to cover a few months of no income, you had no business being voluntarily unemplyed.

Last edited:

PQN

He may be more willing to help pay for a divorce if it is pointed out to him that (in Illinois) he only has two years from finding out that he may not be the father to file to disestablish or he'll be stuck -- including child support.

Since he knew that he may not be the father when child #1 was born and she is almost 2, he better get hopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">