• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity Testing in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovely Lotus

I live in Montgomery County, Texas currently. Just moved here from Illinois. My husband whom I am separated from, lives in Illinois. We have had some issues and it has been deemed necessary to get a court ordered paternity test. I was wondering, how would I go about getting a court ordered paternity test, even though we live in separate states, and without having to go through the divorce at the time, due to low funds.

Sorry if I did this wrong, I'm new.

Proserpina

I live in Montgomery County, Texas currently. Just moved here from Illinois. My husband whom I am separated from, lives in Illinois. We have had some issues and it has been deemed necessary to get a court ordered paternity test. I was wondering, how would I go about getting a court ordered paternity test, even though we live in separate states, and without having to go through the divorce at the time, due to low funds.

Sorry if I did this wrong, I'm new.

How old is the child?

(This assumes your husband is the child's legal father)

Lovely Lotus

Im assuming quite a bit. But my parents are paying for it due to the hatred towards my husband after he threatened to kill me and my daughter.

CourtClerk

Im assuming quite a bit. But my parents are paying for it due to the hatred towards my husband after he threatened to kill me and my daughter.
Then why not spring for the divorce? Although depending on how recently you moved, anything you do court ordered will be happening in Illinois.

Lovely Lotus

Is Dad aware paternity is in question?
Yes. I was 17 at the time, and being reckless, and was with two different guys too close together. He is the one who said he wanted a paternity test to see if she was truly his, but he refuses to pay for any part of it.

Isis1

I only say My daughter because he says she is not his, and wants nothing to do with her. He also has 2 other children of his own.
he is legally her father. until he is disestablished as the father, she is his daughter too. and having two other children, doesn't make his daughter less his, or more yours.

nextwife

Yes. I was 17 at the time, and being reckless, and was with two different guys too close together. He is the one who said he wanted a paternity test to see if she was truly his, but he refuses to pay for any part of it.
Why don't you offer to split the cost? Not his fault you can't know who biodad really was.

Lovely Lotus

Then why not spring for the divorce? Although depending on how recently you moved, anything you do court ordered will be happening in Illinois.
My parents assume at this point, that the DNA test will be cheaper then the Divorce. Right now I am weighing my options, and gathering information. We have a DNA center close to both of our locations, and I previously had the money to get the test done, but I wouldn't pay for it until he agreed to go to the appointment and he refused. That was the cheapest way I could find to do it, yet he refused. So now we are weighing our options. Also, I just moved 2 months ago. I tried to get the paternity testing by going the shorter route and filing for child support in both Illinois and Texas, but both states have managed to either lose my paperwork, or its gotten screwed up where they cannot do it because of me being on a caseload with my boyfriend for medicaid and foodstamps. Also, before me having a boyfriend while being married causes a commotion, yes I know it is adultery, but neither one of us can accuse the other because we both have children born after our separation to different people.

Lovely Lotus

he is legally her father. until he is disestablished as the father, she is his daughter too. and having two other children, doesn't make his daughter less his, or more yours.
Yes I understand he is still legally her father. Using "my" has just become a habit after he disowned her and threatened her. Its not meant to have any ill effect towards him. Even if I do find out she is his, despite our hatred for eachother, we still will be civil. I use "my" unknowingly even with my other daughter and her father, and we are together.

Lovely Lotus

Why don't you offer to split the cost? Not his fault you can't know who biodad really was.
He refuses to pay for it. I even offered to pay for the whole thing at one point, had money in hand, and he refused to go to the appointment. Hence why we need a court ordered one instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">