• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying back child support after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sharae

What is the name of your state? Kansas
my aunt's husband just passed away and he still owes back child support. He had a life insurance policy in which my aunt is the beneficiary. can the state take this money from her to use to pay off his back child support??

VeronicaGia

You should post this on the Wills & Probate board for more help. IMHO, I don't think so, since she is of no relation to the children, but one never knows. Usually, outstanding debt is paid from the estate of the deceased, such as savings accounts, checking accounts, etc.

ktarra617

Veronica is right that you should post this in the wills and probate board but the laws governing life insurance are very strict. I do know this they will have an easier time getting the money if she puts the money into an account with his name on it. Make sure she understands that. Do NOT put that money into a joint account. That is what my hubby and I were told in regards to our ex spouses. The rest is up to a probate lawyer.

Good luck to her!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">