• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition for Contempt of Consent Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJdents

My state is Pennsylvania
My county is Cambria
I am the mother in a custody case

Basic (I think) Question:
I have en existing Consent order for Custody (I have primary physical custody, we have shared legal custody). After my divorce was final but before the current Consent order, I changed my last name back to my maiden name. I have since remarried. I have corrected my name with the Domestic Relations office (just by telling the hearing officer at my last support modification meeting which was initiated by my ex to have our son taken out of the support calculation now that he's about to turn 18). The order entered into the Cambria County Court of Common Please is formatted as follows, [FIRST] [M.] (prior married name) [MAIDEN], so basically Jane A. (Doe) Smith. However, my legal name is now Jane A. Smith-Thomas (Thomas is my now husband's last name, I retained my maiden name and hyphenated).

I am preparing to file a motion for contempt and sanction, what, if anything, do I need to do in regards to my name? Do I need to file something with the court before I can proceed with the motion for contempt? Do I need to simply correct it in the motion? Can I just put my name as it appears on the existing order (maiden name only, no hyphen)?

I had an attorney who I recently let go and her clerk said that I didn't need to do anything, I was still Jane A. Smith (maiden name only) even though I was remarried and my name hyphenated. However, I hesitate to follow this advice as both the clerk and the attorney also assured me that I also did not need to file a formal motion for contempt in family court or pay any fees if I no longer had an attorney and that I could just send the judge a letter with a copy of the order and mail the same information to my ex, which I know enough from college is almost assuredly an ex parte communication that the judge likely won't even see and even if she did, it would be rejected and not even considered.

[....snipped since I apparently put too much into a single post, sorry....]

Thank you,
Jane

Last edited:

Silverplum

My state is Pennsylvania
My county is Cambria
I am the mother in a custody case

Basic (I think) Question:
I have en existing Consent order for Custody (I have primary physical custody, we have shared legal custody). After my divorce was final but before the current Consent order, I changed my last name back to my maiden name. I have since remarried. I have corrected my name with the Domestic Relations office (just by telling the hearing officer at my last support modification meeting which was initiated by my ex to have our son taken out of the support calculation now that he's about to turn 18). The order entered into the Cambria County Court of Common Please is formatted as follows, [FIRST] [M.] (prior married name) [MAIDEN], so basically Jane A. (Doe) Smith. However, my legal name is now Jane A. Smith-Thomas (Thomas is my now husband's last name, I retained my maiden name and hyphenated).

I am preparing to file a motion for contempt and sanction, what, if anything, do I need to do in regards to my name? Do I need to file something with the court before I can proceed with the motion for contempt? Do I need to simply correct it in the motion? Can I just put my name as it appears on the existing order (maiden name only, no hyphen)?

I had an attorney who I recently let go and her clerk said that I didn't need to do anything, I was still Jane A. Smith (maiden name only) even though I was remarried and my name hyphenated. However, I hesitate to follow this advice as both the clerk and the attorney also assured me that I also did not need to file a formal motion for contempt in family court or pay any fees if I no longer had an attorney and that I could just send the judge a letter with a copy of the order and mail the same information to my ex, which I know enough from college is almost assuredly an ex parte communication that the judge likely won't even see and even if she did, it would be rejected and not even considered.

Background info and the less basic questions:
I am filing the contempt motion pro se. My main issue is that in 2011, I was awarded $500 towards counsel fees as a result of a motion of contempt against my ex and a Consent order (motion of contempt was held indefinitely due to our Consent agreement). The $500 was to be paid within 30 days after our divorce was final (we have not been back in front of the judge since the order). It was final in 2013. I have reminded my ex several times and requested payment be made and he has ignored me every time. When I have asked my attorney of record whether or not we can pursue collection, she has told me that she could, but that it would cost me at least $1000.00 for her to draft the motion and represent me in court, not including the fees associated with a motion for contempt. It made no sense to spend $1000 or more to collect $500. My ex has violated numerous provisions of the order over the years and every time I have raised the violations of the order, my attorney told me that my best avenue of pursuit was for her to e-mail his attorney and threaten court action if the violations did not stop. She told me it would save me money in the long run and that our judge wouldn't take most violations seriously; basically my ex would need to injure our daughter (he is not allowed visitation with our son since he admitted to abusing both him and myself even though he went through counseling in order to be able to see our daughter who is much younger), injure himself or another and be arrested or I'd need to prove that he is an alcoholic or drug addict (he is, but I can't prove that if he never gets a DUI, arrested or enters treatment). Every one of these e-mails sent to his attorney cost me between $50 to $100 and some issues required multiple back and forth e-mails.

I have exhausted every single penny of my $40,000 savings and the Consent order is still being repeatedly violated. He violates the non-derogation clause (derogatory comments to our daughter about me, my husband, our son, my mother and father), the inappropriate TV and interne content clause (she watches R-rated horror movies and is allowed to play Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty when at his house, she's 9 and has so many nightmares that 3-5 nights that I have her she wakes me up in the middle of the night terrified). He refuses to have her homework completed when assigned during his visitation (he tells me that neither myself nor the school get to dictate how he spends his time with his child). He consumes alcohol in front of her even though he is prohibited from doing so in the order based on his admitted prior alcohol-induced abuse towards our son and I. He refuses to bring her to her scheduled activities as required in the Consent order. He refuses to let me talk to her 70% of the time he has her overnight (I call once a night on the weekends he has her at 8:00pm and he is required to answer and let me talk to her or have her call me back before he puts her to bed). He is late 99% of the time when returning her to me after visitation (not even an issue worth mentioning according to my attorney). He doesn't return her clothes back to me when she visits with her (he sends her back to me in clothes he found at goodwill or hand-0me downs form her step sisters that don't fit her even when he only has her for a few hours after school and not overnight); he's been doing this so long that it's actually specifically mentioned in the Consent order that he must return her in the clothes I send her in or send them with her and not destroyed). He also refused to attend the mandated family counseling so that we could learn to communicate in ways that were beneficial to our children; I went for 3 years, twice per month and sat there by myself and more less tattled on him to the counselor (a close friend of my attorney who was supposed to "keep him in line") for violating the court order in other ways. I ran out of money to pay her after 3 years and since he refused to attend, I stopped scheduling sessions, which my attorney told me was fine at that point even though I was required to by the Consent order. We each had to pay for our portion of the session, he didn't need to pay for sessions he did not attend so I spent thousands of dollars just so that I could comply with the court order.

I started letting these issues go and not having my attorney complain to his every time about a year ago (no sense since e-mails weren't working and my attorney had me scared that if we went back to court, I'd run out of money part-way through the process and that even though he is in violation, he might get more visitation since "every other weekend and 4 hours once a week is no longer the standard so the judge may modify our order to give him more time to get in line with the current family law climate even if he didn't request or even deserve it". We have a court-ordered "communication book" where I've been documenting my attempts to have him stop the violations (firm, but as respectful to him as possible), which is what my attorney suggested when I told her I was running out of money since it's free to use the book. However, when I stopped the attorney e-mails, he began having his attorney sending my attorney random questions that he could have (or in some cases, actually did) ask me in the communication book (which is its stated purpose, for us to communicate about issues that did not require mediation or litigation). His attorney is a close family friend who is working more or less pro-bono (he did the same for him during his custody battle with his ex-girlfriend before he and I were married). He is using the process to harass and punish me for leaving him and moving on. I get it, I sympathize with his possession and jealousy issues as I became intimate with them starting about 3 months after we were married but we've been separated since 2010 and prior to that, we hadn't had any sort of marital relations or communication for nearly 2 years. So here I am writing a petition for contempt for the $500 he was ordered to pay me in the Consent order from 2011.

Should I note the other continuous violations of the Consent order beyond the $500 or just stick to the money?

I feel like the other violations are further evidence for his contempt of court, but since I don't feel like I would secure anything other than the $500 he owes me no matter what else I show him to be in violation of. In that case, aren't those other violations extraneous? I don't want to offend or irritate the judge (I assumed judges were people, more or less reasonable whereas my former attorney assured me that they are more often not since they hear this stuff all the time and it's always a 'he said, she said sort of thing' that they sort through on a daily basis).

I don't want to hurt my petition by having stuff in there that is unnecessary but I also don't want to make it seem like this is his only violation (he's been in violation multiple times before and we had contempt proceedings early on in the process where he was forced to comply at least temporarily by the judge). But I DO want the violations to stop if possible as they're hurting my daughter and harming her education.

I realize that this is a lot, but I'd rather give too much information here than not enough. I appreciate any insight here.

Thank you,
Jane
You can use "AKA" and/or "NKA" with your new name.

I can't believe you spent $40,000 to try to get your X to act the way you want him to act. Too much. Too petty. If the child watches a movie on his time, that's his parenting. It's not great, but it wasn't worth $40,000 to try to force him to agree to your exact parenting rules.

Stick to the $500, IMO. Your previous attempts to control him failed, didn't they?

Silverplum

(I was unable to add to the previous post due to length.)

Instead of you spending 3 years in counseling/complaining alone, you could/should have put your child in counseling. It's not too late, and it would be helpful with her bad dreams and to learn tools to deal with the reality of her life.

NJdents

You can use "AKA" and/or "NKA" with your new name.

I can't believe you spent $40,000 to try to get your X to act the way you want him to act. Too much. Too petty. If the child watches a movie on his time, that's his parenting. It's not great, but it wasn't worth $40,000 to try to force him to agree to your exact parenting rules.

Stick to the $500, IMO. Your previous attempts to control him failed, didn't they?
Thank you for the advice about the name. That helps immensely.

As for the rest of your comments, I think they're a bit off-base. We have a court order for a reason, one we both had input in and agreed to that specifically states "neither parent will expose or allow either minor child to be exposed to television, movie, music or internet content that is of an obscene or graphic nature including but not limited to: nudity, graphic violence, vulgar language or gore". Expecting it to be followed is hardly "trying to force him to agree with MY exact parenting rules" unless a Consent order itself is meaningless. In that case, why do we have attorneys and Consent orders to begin with? We could just sign a contract that says so long as neither parent injures or causes one of their children to be injured or killed, parenting decisions are exclusive to the parent who has custody at a given moment. Honestly, while I understand you must get a lot of people who try to control the other parent through excessive litigation, allowing a 6 year old to watch the entire Saw trilogy isn't an issue of controlling my ex even without a Consent order, or should I not have been upset about that? Sending her to school for 5 overnight visits in a row with attire that caused her to be sent home (in the 1st grade no less) because it was "too revealing and a violation of school dress code", I mean, who does that? Like I said, I realize that a judge has to weigh on these matters knowing that good parenting is a pretty nebulous concept, but we have an order we both paid a significant sum of money to have drafted and that we both agreed to.

Having said that, perhaps your suggestion, as I mentioned in my post before I edited it for brevity, of leaving that bit out is best. I guess I shouldn't need to note that he violates the Consent order at his whim to have the bit about the $500 enforced and if I'm not asking the judge to really DO anything about those violations specifically, it feels like I'm just trying to use the process punitively rather than in a restorative manner. Thanks again. I'll see if anyone else has any advice.

Snipped version of what we're taking about so we don't both look insane...
Background info and the less basic questions:
I am filing the contempt motion pro se. My main issue is that in 2011, I was awarded $500 towards counsel fees as a result of a motion of contempt against my ex and a Consent order (motion of contempt was held indefinitely due to our Consent agreement). The $500 was to be paid within 30 days after our divorce was final (we have not been back in front of the judge since the order). It was final in 2013. I have reminded my ex several times and requested payment be made and he has ignored me every time. When I have asked my attorney of record whether or not we can pursue collection, she has told me that she could, but that it would cost me at least $1000.00 for her to draft the motion and represent me in court, not including the fees associated with a motion for contempt. It made no sense to spend $1000 or more to collect $500. My ex has violated numerous provisions of the order over the years and every time I have raised the violations of the order, my attorney told me that my best avenue of pursuit was for her to e-mail his attorney and threaten court action if the violations did not stop. She told me it would save me money in the long run and that our judge wouldn't take most violations seriously; basically my ex would need to injure our daughter (he is not allowed visitation with our son since he admitted to abusing both him and myself even though he went through counseling in order to be able to see our daughter who is much younger), injure himself or another and be arrested or I'd need to prove that he is an alcoholic or drug addict (he is, but I can't prove that if he never gets a DUI, arrested or enters treatment). Every one of these e-mails sent to his attorney cost me between $50 to $100 and some issues required multiple back and forth e-mails.

Should I note the other continuous violations of the Consent order beyond the $500 or just stick to the money?

I feel like the other violations are further evidence for his contempt of court, but since I don't feel like I would secure anything other than the $500 he owes me no matter what else I show him to be in violation of. In that case, aren't those other violations extraneous? I don't want to offend or irritate the judge (I assumed judges were people, more or less reasonable whereas my former attorney assured me that they are more often not since they hear this stuff all the time and it's always a 'he said, she said sort of thing' that they sort through on a daily basis).

I don't want to hurt my petition by having stuff in there that is unnecessary but I also don't want to make it seem like this is his only violation (he's been in violation multiple times before and we had contempt proceedings early on in the process where he was forced to comply at least temporarily by the judge). But I DO want the violations to stop if possible as they're hurting my daughter and harming her education.

I realize that this is a lot, but I'd rather give too much information here than not enough. I appreciate any insight here.

Just Blue

As for the rest of your comments, I think they're a bit off-base. We have a court order for a reason, one we both had input in and agreed to that specifically states "neither parent will expose or allow either minor child to be exposed to television, movie, music or internet content that is of an obscene or graphic nature including but not limited to: nudity, graphic violence, vulgar language or gore". Expecting it to be followed is hardly "trying to force him to agree with MY exact parenting rules" unless a Consent order itself is meaningless. In that case, why do we have attorneys and Consent orders to begin with? We could just sign a contract that says so long as neither parent injures or causes one of their children to be injured or killed, parenting decisions are exclusive to the parent who has custody at a given moment. Honestly, while I understand you must get a lot of people who try to control the other parent through excessive litigation, allowing a 6 year old to watch the entire Saw trilogy isn't an issue of controlling my ex even without a Consent order, or should I not have been upset about that? Sending her to school for 5 overnight visits in a row with attire that caused her to be sent home (in the 1st grade no less) because it was "too revealing and a violation of school dress code", I mean, who does that? Like I said, I realize that a judge has to weigh on these matters knowing that good parenting is a pretty nebulous concept, but we have an order we both paid a significant sum of money to have drafted and that we both agreed to.

Having said that, perhaps your suggestion, as I mentioned in my post before I edited it for brevity, of leaving that bit out is best. I guess I shouldn't need to note that he violates the Consent order at his whim to have the bit about the $500 enforced and if I'm not asking the judge to really DO anything about those violations specifically, it feels like I'm just trying to use the process punitively rather than in a restorative manner. Thanks again. I'll see if anyone else has any advice.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silverplum

NJdents said:
*I* never "looked insane" here. I have the good sense to quote for posterity. :rolleyes:

Mr. Einstein once gave a definition of "insane," and I think it's an excellent definition that fits your situation perfectly: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

NJdents

(I was unable to add to the previous post due to length.)

Instead of you spending 3 years in counseling/complaining alone, you could/should have put your child in counseling. It's not too late, and it would be helpful with her bad dreams and to learn tools to deal with the reality of her life.
She is in counseling, with an actual Licensed Clinical Social Worker...the so-called "Family Counselor" is not licensed as a clinician and therefor cannot accept insurance plans. I had no choice but to go until she and my attorney said it was okay to stop, I was required to as part of the order and I followed it as we were both expected to.

Also, I'm trying not to be defensive, and I realize that we don't know each other and I don't know if you're an attorney or someone who has gone through this personally, but $40,000 for an attorney over 5 years to include 5 court appearances, 15 appearances at Domestic Relations for modification of Child Support (every time he changes jobs or thinks I got a raise he requests for a modification to his support amount and brings his attorney which means my attorney feels it necessary to accompany me) which is his right and I have no call to stop him from wanting the support amount to be accurate plus the 4-5 incidents a year (3 times failing to return our daughter after his visitation because he was "busy") over 5 years, 10 phone conversations (at $50-$100 a conversation or $50 for 15 minute blocks of time) 49 e-mails back and forth to his attorney at $100 a pop plus his 4 appeals to the Domestic Relations support orders...it just all adds up and if you would have told me that I would have spent that much I would have said you were nuts. It wasn't until I saw the itemized statement of my account this January when my attorney and I parted ways that I realized. I would have rather paid off my car and put $30,000 aside for her college....

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Again, thanks for your help. Take care. :)

Silverplum

She is in counseling, with an actual Licensed Clinical Social Worker...the so-called "Family Counselor" is not licensed as a clinician and therefor cannot accept insurance plans. I had no choice but to go until she and my attorney said it was okay to stop, I was required to as part of the order and I followed it as we were both expected to.

Also, I'm trying not to be defensive, and I realize that we don't know each other and I don't know if you're an attorney or someone who has gone through this personally, but $40,000 for an attorney over 5 years to include 5 court appearances, 15 appearances at Domestic Relations for modification of Child Support (every time he changes jobs or thinks I got a raise he requests for a modification to his support amount and brings his attorney which means my attorney feels it necessary to accompany me) which is his right and I have no call to stop him from wanting the support amount to be accurate plus the 4-5 incidents a year (3 times failing to return our daughter after his visitation because he was "busy") over 5 years, 10 phone conversations (at $50-$100 a conversation or $50 for 15 minute blocks of time) 49 e-mails back and forth to his attorney at $100 a pop plus his 4 appeals to the Domestic Relations support orders...it just all adds up and if you would have told me that I would have spent that much I would have said you were nuts. It wasn't until I saw the itemized statement of my account this January when my attorney and I parted ways that I realized. I would have rather paid off my car and put $30,000 aside for her college....

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Again, thanks for your help. Take care. :)
I'm not surprised that your attorney managed to spend $40K of your money. I'm saying that it's too much for you to have pursued and spent in your quest to deal with Dad. You need to learn when a technique does not work and to switch to another. You have another NINE YEARS to go.

I'm not an attorney, btw. And you're welcome. I'm happy to read your child is in counseling. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">