• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petition to establish paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phillocs

What is the name of your state? California

My ex girlfriend is carrying a child that I think could be mine. She is marrying another man. She has refused to submit to a DNA test. I have found out I need to file a petition to establish paternity in order to compel her to submit herself and the child to the DNA test. I can make sense of the form I also know I would need to have it served to her as well as providing her with a response form. The question is where do I file this form? I live in Los Angeles County and she lives in Orange County. Does anyone know what my next step is. I really do not have the funds for an attorney, plus this seems like a rather simple matter as far as things go. I know it will not get complicated until it is proven I am the father, at which point support and visitation would begin to be discussed, at that point I know I will need the assistance of a professional but the simple filing appears to be straight forward.What is the name of your state?

CourtClerk

The paperwork in CA is very straight forward and pretty easy to understand as long as you have a few connected brain cells and can figure out how to check a few boxes. What will get you is that you are responsible for learning as much about the civil code and the family code as you need to know to get you through this process. The family law facilitator will assist you in filling out forms, however, they will NOT represent you in court.

You need to file in Orange County as that is where mother and baby are now.

garrula lingua

Nolo Press, and other publishers, have great books regarding self-representation.

Check out the Custody books; one of them will explain the process, and also show some parenting/shared custody plans.

If you need answers, the County Law Library is a good source; they can't give legal advice, but will point you to the correct books.

File in Orange County; I think they're a bit more patient with pro pers & they're smaller and less busy.

CourtClerk

File in Orange County; I think they're a bit more patient with pro pers & they're smaller and less busy.
Hey GL,

Are you insinuating that we LA County folk are a little impatient with pro pers???:D:D:D
You obviously didn't see my courtroom this past week. I didn't know if I was at work or ringside at Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey;)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

My ex girlfriend is carrying a child that I think could be mine. She is marrying another man. She has refused to submit to a DNA test. I have found out I need to file a petition to establish paternity in order to compel her to submit herself and the child to the DNA test. I can make sense of the form I also know I would need to have it served to her as well as providing her with a response form. The question is where do I file this form? I live in Los Angeles County and she lives in Orange County. Does anyone know what my next step is. I really do not have the funds for an attorney, plus this seems like a rather simple matter as far as things go. I know it will not get complicated until it is proven I am the father, at which point support and visitation would begin to be discussed, at that point I know I will need the assistance of a professional but the simple filing appears to be straight forward.What is the name of your state?
I do agree with the advice that you have already been given, but do realize that even if you are able to file before the baby is born, nothing is going to happen (particularly the DNA test) until after the baby is born.

garrula lingua

Hey GL,

Are you insinuating that we LA County folk are a little impatient with pro pers???:D:D:D
You obviously didn't see my courtroom this past week. I didn't know if I was at work or ringside at Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey;)
- It is true -- the court clerks in L.A. are much nicer than Orange's (and more approachable) :):) (very true).

And, y'all aren't less patient. It's just easier in Orange with the centralized family law court; mediation is quicker, and Hill Street is a real mill.

The Judges/Commissioners in Orange FL also seemed to take more time and do chamber conferences with their cases & they usually read the paperwork which was filed.

L.A.'s too busy for niceties such as reading the paperwork or doing a chambers (even more reason they need the more informed and intelliigent court clerks :cool::cool: -L.A. clerks pick up the slack due to less Judge's time and solve a lot of problems themselves). :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">