• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help-Grandson's Custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsKarin

We live in Ohio, my son and his girlfriend had a baby in July 2000. For the first 6 weeks the mother took care of the baby and my son supported them and visited them often as well as brought the baby to our home. (both mom and dad still live at home with their parents).

After 6 weeks the baby has lived with us with my son being the sole support of his child. The mom decided she didn't want the responsibility of having an infant (mom is 21 and dad is 22). She visits and takes him at the most 2 times a week. My son wants to keep his child with him but yet understands the importance of both parents being involved in the baby's life. He is afraid if he goes for custody he may lose what he now has, which is his son living with him.

Yet he is afraid if he does NOTHING he is leaving himself wide open for the mom to take the baby away when she feels like being a mom whether that be in 2 years or tomorrow. But since they were never married he doesn't know what to do.

What is the right thing to do in this case? The baby has become the joy of our lives and we are really trying to look at this the right way for what is best for the baby.

L

LadyBlu

MsKarin said:
We live in Ohio, my son and his girlfriend had a baby in July 2000. For the first 6 weeks the mother took care of the baby and my son supported them and visited them often as well as brought the baby to our home. (both mom and dad still live at home with their parents).

After 6 weeks the baby has lived with us with my son being the sole support of his child. The mom decided she didn't want the responsibility of having an infant (mom is 21 and dad is 22). She visits and takes him at the most 2 times a week. My son wants to keep his child with him but yet understands the importance of both parents being involved in the baby's life. He is afraid if he goes for custody he may lose what he now has, which is his son living with him.

Yet he is afraid if he does NOTHING he is leaving himself wide open for the mom to take the baby away when she feels like being a mom whether that be in 2 years or tomorrow. But since they were never married he doesn't know what to do.

What is the right thing to do in this case? The baby has become the joy of our lives and we are really trying to look at this the right way for what is best for the baby.
He needs to petition the court for custody. The mother will still be able to be a part of the child's life, as she will most likely get joint custody but he needs to protect himself because if at some point she does not return the baby after a visit she can then petition the court for support from the father and he will be liable for support retroactive to the birth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">