• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help in KY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewmast3r

I have a 3 year old daughter who is not legally established. Her mother was married at the time of conception and her husband signed the birth certificate even though they acknowledged me as the biological father. Her and her husband have been split up for some time now and they are still legally married. He has been in my daughter's life throughout. I have also been in her life since the day she was born and have been consistent and supportive the entire time. I have paid her mother cash for support per her request and have never missed time with my daughter. Her mother kept putting me off every time I asked to get established these past 3 years and told me if we ever went to court please don't tell them that her husband and I both give her cash support for my daughter or she could lose her benefits. Fed up I finally hired a lawyer and served her papers requestibg legal estsblishment on the birth certificate, joint custody, liberal timeshare as we've always done, and that my daughter get my last name. She flipped out and is saying I will never be awarded joint custody or a name change since her husband has been legally established as her 'father' all 3 years of her life. I have done everything she's asked to this point and have never missed paying her or seeing my daughter. I have kept all receipts and messages proving she's accepted payment for support and that I've played a huge role in my daughter's life. I don't mind if her husband plays a role in my daughters life as her step dad but do I have a shot at joint custody?? I've done nothing but be a good dad and agreeable up to this point.

LdiJ

I have a 3 year old daughter who is not legally established. Her mother was married at the time of conception and her husband signed the birth certificate even though they acknowledged me as the biological father. Her and her husband have been split up for some time now and they are still legally married. He has been in my daughter's life throughout. I have also been in her life since the day she was born and have been consistent and supportive the entire time. I have paid her mother cash for support per her request and have never missed time with my daughter. Her mother kept putting me off every time I asked to get established these past 3 years and told me if we ever went to court please don't tell them that her husband and I both give her cash support for my daughter or she could lose her benefits. Fed up I finally hired a lawyer and served her papers requestibg legal estsblishment on the birth certificate, joint custody, liberal timeshare as we've always done, and that my daughter get my last name. She flipped out and is saying I will never be awarded joint custody or a name change since her husband has been legally established as her 'father' all 3 years of her life. I have done everything she's asked to this point and have never missed paying her or seeing my daughter. I have kept all receipts and messages proving she's accepted payment for support and that I've played a huge role in my daughter's life. I don't mind if her husband plays a role in my daughters life as her step dad but do I have a shot at joint custody?? I've done nothing but be a good dad and agreeable up to this point.
You have an attorney. Unless you have not told your attorney the whole story, your attorney would have told you if what you wanted was not legally possible.

drewmast3r

They say they don't see why it wouldn't be but some of the things I read online about similar situations scare me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">