• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help me..fair visitation agreement when there is no legal agreement yet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kayhope2000

i am in florida. i need to help in determining a fair visitation agreement when there is not yet any legal agreement. he is not listed on birth certificate. i am afraid to allow him to take baby, many reasons, and he wants to get her for days and nights at a time. i am trying to be careful how i deal with this. i want him in childs life, but i do not trust him with her. very spiteful person. he is wealthy, i am not. he makes threats to take her. i am not comfortable allowing baby to go with him like that. we have not started court process yet. i am also trying to keep in my mind what seems fair in eyes of court for him. i do not want to seem like i am uncooperative. i am scared and i need help with these questions.

L

lehcarj

I imagine this is very scary for you... You are not obligated to give any visitation without a court ordered agreement. You first need to establish paternity, since he is not recognized as the father. The court will then order visitation and award child support. Typical visitation would be a few hours one night a week and every other weekend (Friday eve. - Sunday eve.). Then you'll have to settle on holidays...

If you have concerns about leaving the baby with this man, DON'T. If he is demanding, be firm and let him know that unless some legal boundaries are set you are not willing to allow him to take the baby.

To be fair, without a legal agreement, simply plan visits at your home when you're there.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
E

Elliotg

Generally, in family law matters, under Florida's statutes, the obligation for paying attorney fees falls on the party who is best able to pay. If what you stated is accurate, then he will likely be held legally responsible for all, or at least a majority, of your attorney fees.

You should promptly schedule a formal consultation with a  lawyer.  A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting the Florida Bar Association or the local county bar association.    They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral.  Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck.-Elliot Goldstein (offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts.  Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">