• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plese help question about my visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nat75

my ex and i have just recently signed a custody agreement for my son. he has custody and i have visitation rights on every other weekend and holidays. this was agreed between us and a laywer we didnt go before a judge etc. before the signing it was amicable. now that the papers are signed he is changed. he is telling me as full custody parent he doesnt have to bring my son the weekends i have the right to see him. that as full custody parent he can decide to end visitation rights. i want to know if this is true? if it isnt true, what are the consequences he can face? he also says things like he will teach my son to not want to visit me.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
my ex and i have just recently signed a custody agreement for my son. he has custody and i have visitation rights on every other weekend and holidays. this was agreed between us and a laywer we didnt go before a judge etc. before the signing it was amicable. now that the papers are signed he is changed. he is telling me as full custody parent he doesnt have to bring my son the weekends i have the right to see him. that as full custody parent he can decide to end visitation rights. i want to know if this is true? if it isnt true, what are the consequences he can face? he also says things like he will teach my son to not want to visit me.
What US state?

Proserpina

Word for word, what does that portion actually say?

nat75

i am supposed to have right for visitation of my son one weekend on two from friday at 7 to sunday at 7. it doesnt say he has a right to decide anything. he is supposed to be in charge of all transport. i am also supposed to have rights for week at christmas, spring break etc..

Ladyback1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but.....

Regardless of whether the parenting plan/custody was agreed upon, it still has to be before the court and have a judge sign off on it.

Proserpina

i am supposed to have right for visitation of my son one weekend on two from friday at 7 to sunday at 7. it doesnt say he has a right to decide anything. he is supposed to be in charge of all transport. i am also supposed to have rights for week at christmas, spring break etc..
That wasn't word for word, but I have a question.

What if you did the transportation yourself?

CJane

Has the agreement been filed with the court/signed by the judge?

Your ex is wrong. There is no inherent power to change or deny visits just because he has custody. There would have to be specific language indicating he was able to do so.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of custodial parents who either aren't aware that they weren't granted super powers, or who don't care. The only way to get through to them is to stand firm, and be willing to pursue issues through the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">