• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poll/ bio siblings & step siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smh33

Just wondering what opinions are on 'family terms'. Children under age 10, what does everyone use or teach....any, all siblings are 'brothers/sisters' or keep a clarification siblings are stepB/S or with a remarry..1/2 brother/sister? Anyone had problems in this area? Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

smh33 said:
Just wondering what opinions are on 'family terms'. Children under age 10, what does everyone use or teach....any, all siblings are 'brothers/sisters' or keep a clarification siblings are stepB/S or with a remarry..1/2 brother/sister? Anyone had problems in this area? Thanks
My response:

What ?

Perhaps it's just the hour, but what are you saying ? Could you please rephrase - - or, can I buy a vowel ?

IAAL

L

lcollins

My daughter is almost 4 yrs. old, and she has an older half brother and a younger half sister (all by different moms). She only knows them as her brother and sister. It's too confusing for a small child to be able to keep the terms straight. She knows that her brother has a different mommy and her sister has a different mommy, but they all have the same daddy. That's confusing enough for any child, much less labeling everyone else. Once there old enough to understand the difference, they can decide how to "label" them, but in my experience and half or step sibling is just their brother or sister, simple as that.

My step daughter refers to her half brother as brother and her half sister as sister. I made it clear to her what the definition of "half" was, but none of us use the term. The clarification was made when she didn't equate the brother she lived with to the sister that lives with her NCP. She is ten and now understands that they are equally related to her--one by her mother, the other by her father.

S

smh33

Thanks for responses. My brother has 3 1/2yr old, ex remarried, just had baby. Had issue in past due to BM enforcing child to call SD, just 'daddy'. If the new baby brought up, child immediately responses defending baby is sister, not 1/2...implying this issue must be discussed at BM's home w/ child. Now also child calling step-grands..Nana & pawpaw...Nana being what my mom is called, the bio grand. This is upsetting my mother more than I would have thought. Step grands in town, bio's 1 1/2 hrs away. In turn, my mom is getting my brother, BD, pretty worked up about & u know how goes.....more goes on, bigger issue becomes, more upset people get and on, & on......
Never had problem here, just wanted to get general opinion....see if this problem for anyone else. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">