• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible cause for neglect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcward

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
My husband and I live in ID. My husband's ex wife lives in OR (which is where the divorce and custody arrangements took place) with full custody of his two daughters who are 6 and 9. We recently found out that their education is being extremely neglected. The 9 year old has been absent 18 times in 2 months and tardy another 10 times. Neither one of the girls have any major medical problems so this is unacceptable in my book. She also has not turned in any homework over the last two months, shows anxiety in class because she is so behind, does not understand the math that she is in and has to have her own math test, and is not excelling or meeting the standard milestones a 3rd grader should meet. She is a very smart girl, however her mother is not helping her or encouraging her to do her school work. One night during a phone call my husband asked her if she had any homework. She then said, "Oh no, Mom we forgot to do my homework." And her mother's response was, "I don't care." His daughters teacher has tried to contact his ex wife, however she has not returned phone calls or emails and has been very neglectful of their education. In the beginning of the year she was tested and was in the 40-50th percentile for her knowledge base and now she is in around the 5th percentile. With the 6 year old, she has been absent 25 times with just about the same amount of tardies as the 9 year old. She is in kindergarten so the work load is very minimal and she is not as far behind as the older daughter. However there are some milestones that she is not meeting either.
Learning of all of this makes me sick. I know that we are the better choice to raise these girls, however OR is a mommy state. My husbands ex-wife has multiple documented mental health disorders and we don't believe she is fit to take care of them. We called CPS to talk to them about their schooling and OR CPS doesn't do anything to enforce education, etc from our understanding. We have a long list of things that we feel are neglectful and not taking care of the kids as they should be, but we haven't felt like it was strong enough to get custody. Does their education and lack of help from home, etc give us a good enough case to push for full custody? We don't know what else to do. If we wait it'll just get worse and I don't want to think about where those girls will be at that time for their education level. Suggestions?

BL

My husband and I live in ID. My husband's ex wife lives in OR (which is where the divorce and custody arrangements took place) with full custody of his two daughters who are 6 and 9. We recently found out that their education is being extremely neglected. The 9 year old has been absent 18 times in 2 months and tardy another 10 times. Neither one of the girls have any major medical problems so this is unacceptable in my book. She also has not turned in any homework over the last two months, shows anxiety in class because she is so behind, does not understand the math that she is in and has to have her own math test, and is not excelling or meeting the standard milestones a 3rd grader should meet. She is a very smart girl, however her mother is not helping her or encouraging her to do her school work. One night during a phone call my husband asked her if she had any homework. She then said, "Oh no, Mom we forgot to do my homework." And her mother's response was, "I don't care." His daughters teacher has tried to contact his ex wife, however she has not returned phone calls or emails and has been very neglectful of their education. In the beginning of the year she was tested and was in the 40-50th percentile for her knowledge base and now she is in around the 5th percentile. With the 6 year old, she has been absent 25 times with just about the same amount of tardies as the 9 year old. She is in kindergarten so the work load is very minimal and she is not as far behind as the older daughter. However there are some milestones that she is not meeting either.
Learning of all of this makes me sick. I know that we are the better choice to raise these girls, however OR is a mommy state. My husbands ex-wife has multiple documented mental health disorders and we don't believe she is fit to take care of them. We called CPS to talk to them about their schooling and OR CPS doesn't do anything to enforce education, etc from our understanding. We have a long list of things that we feel are neglectful and not taking care of the kids as they should be, but we haven't felt like it was strong enough to get custody. Does their education and lack of help from home, etc give us a good enough case to push for full custody? We don't know what else to do. If we wait it'll just get worse and I don't want to think about where those girls will be at that time for their education level. Suggestions?
I read most of it . You have no dog to fight. It's the father's responsibility and in most if not all State's if a administrative body is that concerned over neglect they have a duty to report it to child protective. Obviously it hasn't reached that point and the child's father could care less ,because you are a legal stranger blowing smoke.

BL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaAO56WTe8

I'm still here and being silly : }

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband and I live in ID. My husband's ex wife lives in OR (which is where the divorce and custody arrangements took place) with full custody of his two daughters who are 6 and 9. We recently found out that their education is being extremely neglected. The 9 year old has been absent 18 times in 2 months and tardy another 10 times.
So the school has filed for truancy, correct?

Neither one of the girls have any major medical problems so this is unacceptable in my book.
Your "book" doesn't matter.

She also has not turned in any homework over the last two months, shows anxiety in class because she is so behind, does not understand the math that she is in and has to have her own math test, and is not excelling or meeting the standard milestones a 3rd grader should meet.
How do you know this? What is dad doing about it? Shouldn't the third grader be responsible enough to do her homework?

She is a very smart girl, however her mother is not helping her or encouraging her to do her school work.
really?

One night during a phone call my husband asked her if she had any homework. She then said, "Oh no, Mom we forgot to do my homework." And her mother's response was, "I don't care."
If mom said that, why did she say that? What has mom attempted to do to get junior miss to do her homework?

His daughters teacher has tried to contact his ex wife, however she has not returned phone calls or emails and has been very neglectful of their education. In the beginning of the year she was tested and was in the 40-50th percentile for her knowledge base and now she is in around the 5th percentile. With the 6 year old, she has been absent 25 times with just about the same amount of tardies as the 9 year old. She is in kindergarten so the work load is very minimal and she is not as far behind as the older daughter. However there are some milestones that she is not meeting either.
really? Why has she missed 25 times? Has the school filed for truancy?

Learning of all of this makes me sick. I know that we are the better choice to raise these girls, however OR is a mommy state.
Wrong. Oregon is NOT a mommy state. But if that makes you feel better, continue with that delusion. I note that these children are NOTHING legally to you but you are the one griping. Dad isn't the one here trying to find out what can be done.

My husbands ex-wife has multiple documented mental health disorders and we don't believe she is fit to take care of them.
Yet somehow she was a better choice than your husband. And not because she is mommy.

We called CPS to talk to them about their schooling and OR CPS doesn't do anything to enforce education, etc from our understanding. We have a long list of things that we feel are neglectful and not taking care of the kids as they should be, but we haven't felt like it was strong enough to get custody. Does their education and lack of help from home, etc give us a good enough case to push for full custody?
MOm should get a restraining order against you. YOU will NEVER have a case for custody. And no, their education does NOT give dad a good enough case.

We don't know what else to do. If we wait it'll just get worse and I don't want to think about where those girls will be at that time for their education level. Suggestions?
1) You butt out.
2) Your husband man up and start being a father.

BL

Somehow someway the new one thinks they know it all . Just have to shake my head .. SO WHAT dad has mental issues , he might be better fit and care about his own children better than the HER ,YOU'RE CURRENT . if he don't want to even try to step up,what makes you think he's worthwhile?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ideally, Dad would move closer to his children so he could be a more constant presence in their lives.

CJane

Ideally, Dad would move closer to his children so he could be a more constant presence in their lives.
Well, we don't know how far apart Mom and Dad live. ID and OR do share a border. And... proximity doesn't equate to involvement.

Proserpina

There's no reason Mom for to get a restraining order against Stepmom. Mom would be laughed out of court for even trying, if that's all she has.

Educational neglect is a valid concern, and custody can be switched eventually based SOLELY on that.

Interesting how Stepmom is too involved...but yet she's expected to answer why Mom is or isn't doing something.

Ladyback1

MOm should get a restraining order against you. YOU will NEVER have a case for custody. And no, their education does NOT give dad a good enough case.
oh come on! A restraining order? Seriously? Nothing that the OP has posted rises to the level of restraining order.

And perhaps in Ohio educational neglect isn't enough to change custody, but in other states it is. Unless the child has some sort of medical issue(s), that are documented, then the CP has a duty and obligation to make sure kiddo is pressed, dressed and ready to go to school every day!

So, yeah, I think some of the responses to 3rd party posters(in general) are more snarky than they should be--simply because some people here feel it is there moral duty to dump on a step parent or friend or significant other. How dare some adult care and love a child or children that they do not have any DNA ties to!:(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
oh come on! A restraining order? Seriously? Nothing that the OP has posted rises to the level of restraining order.

And perhaps in Ohio educational neglect isn't enough to change custody, but in other states it is. Unless the child has some sort of medical issue(s), that are documented, then the CP has a duty and obligation to make sure kiddo is pressed, dressed and ready to go to school every day!

So, yeah, I think some of the responses to 3rd party posters(in general) are more snarky than they should be--simply because some people here feel it is there moral duty to dump on a step parent or friend or significant other. How dare some adult care and love a child or children that they do not have any DNA ties to!:(
Do the children have medical issues? Why were the children absent? OP hasn't stated -- just they were absent and apparently dad doesn't care that much because he isn't posting -- stepmom is. And a restraining order = third party no interference order which OP seems to be in need of due to some of her comments. And nothing in my post was snarky.

Ladyback1

Do the children have medical issues? Why were the children absent? OP hasn't stated -- just they were absent and apparently dad doesn't care that much because he isn't posting -- stepmom is. And a restraining order = third party no interference order which OP seems to be in need of due to some of her comments. And nothing in my post was snarky.
I guess it depends on definition of snarky.;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There's no reason Mom for to get a restraining order against Stepmom. Mom would be laughed out of court for even trying, if that's all she has.

Educational neglect is a valid concern, and custody can be switched eventually based SOLELY on that.

Interesting how Stepmom is too involved...but yet she's expected to answer why Mom is or isn't doing something.
Neglect is NOT that the children are missing school. That is the part you are missing. Why are the children missing school? Oh yeah, no one knows. So custody will not be changed based SOLELY upon children missing school. NO matter how much you emphasize that word. And yes, stepmom is too involved. Note that dad doesn't seem involved from stepmom's post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She is in kindergarten so the work load is very minimal and she is not as far behind as the older daughter. However there are some milestones that she is not meeting either.
Since kindergarten is not mandatory in Oregon, that is a moot point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">