• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to find out if the other parent has filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocgirl26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Is it possible to find out in the other parent has filed papers by going down to the court house and looking up your/their name?

Also, can a parent have a lawyer file even if that parent is in another country?

Thank you very much for your time

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Is it possible to find out in the other parent has filed papers by going down to the court house and looking up your/their name?

Also, can a parent have a lawyer file even if that parent is in another country?

Thank you very much for your time
Yes and yes. You can even call the courthouse and find out. But if they filed you should be served.

2Mistakes

That very well may not be true if the 2 parents in question were not married... paternity cases are confidential.
If she is a party to the paternity case (as in being mom), it confidential from her if potential baby daddy has filed to establish paternity?

Just curious on how that works out there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If she is a party to the paternity case (as in being mom), it confidential from her if potential baby daddy has filed to establish paternity?

Just curious on how that works out there.
She has to prove that she is a party which she cannot do over the phone.

ocgirl26

Thank you everyone for your responses. Paternity has already been established b/c the father signed an AOP at the hospital. This sparks two other questions... If I go down to the court house and ask if there has been anything filed under his/my name is he going to know that I did so? Also, how long after one parent files do they have to serve the other parent?

Thank you very much for your help. I have been reading on this site for a long time and have found it very helpful in many ways. This site has not only taught me things about the law but it has also taught me that our child needs to have a father and I will not stand in the way of that. I just don't want to be blindsided either.

2Mistakes

CC, is possible in Cali to do a docket search online?

In my county, I can search by many factors, or just last name.

I do occassionally go plug my name in there, just to make sure there isn't anything I don't know about.

I just would figure that if my po-dunk court system can be checked online, maybe you guys have that capability?

CourtClerk

CC, is possible in Cali to do a docket search online?
Not for paternity cases. Why? Because they're confidential
In my county, I can search by many factors, or just last name.
Divorce, yes. Paternity, no. Civil, yes. Unlawful detainer? For the first 60 days of the case, no. Child Support started by CSSD, yes.
would figure that if my po-dunk court system can be checked online, maybe you guys have that capability?
Again, it depends on the TYPE of case.

CourtClerk

Thank you everyone for your responses. Paternity has already been established b/c the father signed an AOP at the hospital. This sparks two other questions... If I go down to the court house and ask if there has been anything filed under his/my name is he going to know that I did so?
You can only inquire regarding a case where YOU are involved, not him. Who cares whether he finds out or not? Unless someone mentions it, or he sees you in the courthouse, there's probably not a way for him to find out. No one cares personally about your particular case. You are only one in thousands...
Also, how long after one parent files do they have to serve the other parent?
That depends on many factors.

truebluemd

it may vary by state and county. In my county, you can go to the courthouse and search on the computer by party name, amonth many other options, regardless of the type of case it is. you can also pull the file and look through it. You can also call and give the party's name. They will tell you what was filed. They dont ask you if you are a party (although the should). I guess its technially public record

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">