• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Praecipe Forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amethyst11

i was wondering what a praecipe from means. i just got a letter from my ex's lawyer and i don't understand the meaning. i'm in virginia.

Ambr

It means that you need to obtain an attorney or file a response to his motion (paper) yourself. It's asking for a response through court.

The legal definition:

Medieval Latin precipe, legal writ commanding a person to do something or show cause why he or she should not, from Latin praecipe, imperative of praecipere to give rules or precepts, admonish, enjoin

: a written request for an action (as the issuing of a writ of execution) from a party to a clerk of a court or sometimes to a judge
Example: filed a praecipe for the writ of scire facias
Example: shall issue upon praecipe of the plaintiff
Note: When addressed to a clerk, a praecipe is usu. a request for some action that does not require immediate judicial review, such as the issuing of a subpoena or the preparing of a record for appellate review. When addressed to a judge, as for jury instructions in some jurisdictions, a praecipe is similar to a motion. A praecipe originally was a writ issued by the king to a sheriff, telling the sheriff to command someone to do something (as to release land being withheld from another).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">