• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and Considering Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

Since you are the CA expert, please provide the overwhelming evidence that suggests otherwise in CA and I bow to it.
We'll start with the fact that CA has no standard visitation guideline like the other states... we'll end with the fact that the family code doesn't call for it either. However, since it was YOUR statement, I'd rather hear from you.

gr8rn

Just wondering along these lines, would a judge grant a divorce while the wife is pregnant, or is there a statute preventing divorce during the pregnancy. Just in general, I mean, if both parties want out of the marriage during the pregnancy would a judge grant it?

CourtClerk

Just wondering along these lines, would a judge grant a divorce while the wife is pregnant, or is there a statute preventing divorce during the pregnancy. Just in general, I mean, if both parties want out of the marriage during the pregnancy would a judge grant it?
You cannot have a divorced finalized while a woman is pregnant.

Isis1

she can file for divorce, but it won't be granted until after the birth of the baby. the judge will not *******ize the child. and the divorce decree will address the custodial issue of the child.

LdiJ

gosh darnit, there goes my point :mad:

if the divorce is granted before the birth, then doesn't THAT baster dize the child?
I realize that my state is not CA, but that is the exact statement that lawyers in my state make when they explain why you cannot finalize a divorce if the wife is pregnant.

mommyof4

just one consideration for the OP, if she comes back....pregnancy is NOT the time to be considering divorce.

if you chose to breastfeed, wait one year AFTER breastfeeding to determine whether you still want a divorce. otherwise, wait one year after the birth of the baby.

unless you are in physical danger, huge life changes and decisions need to wait.
Amen, amen, amen infinity +1.

AkersTile

You are considered legally insane while pregnant. Be Smart and don't make any major decisions. Once your hormones and brain are back in the order that they belong in you could seriously regret it.

mommyof4

You are considered legally insane while pregnant. Be Smart and don't make any major decisions. Once your hormones and brain are back in the order that they belong in you could seriously regret it.
Whle I agree hormonal fluctuations tend to heighten emotions during and after pregnancy and that it is NOT the best time to make a decision of this import....I in NO WAY agree that a pregnant woman is 'legally insane'. If that were the case, I could have done all sorts of illegal things at various points over a 9 year period and had a valid legal defense.

Pregnancy and legal insanity are not synonymous.:cool:

AkersTile

It actually is true as funny as it sounds, but someone also plead insanity for comitting murder after eating too many twinkies. Because pregnancy causes so many changes to both mind and body, a woman is not 100% in control of her thoughts or actions at any given time during pregnancy therefore, she can claim temporary insanity and have it work.

mommyof4

It actually is true as funny as it sounds, but someone also plead insanity for comitting murder after eating too many twinkies. Because pregnancy causes so many changes to both mind and body, a woman is not 100% in control of her thoughts or actions at any given time during pregnancy therefore, she can claim temporary insanity and have it work.
A woman can use legal insanity as a defense. That doesn't mean she IS. Further, ANYONE at ANYTIME can claim legal insanity, pregnant or not, female or not. That does NOT mean all pregnant women are classified as LEGALLY INSANE.

HUGE difference.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Pregnancy does not automatically render a woman "legally" insane. Any attorney may consider the condition as a possible defense, but if you believe that "you are considered legally insane while pregnant", you need to start deleting all your email that has "Fwd" in the subject line. Seriously. That's just ignorant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">