• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and Considering Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It actually is true as funny as it sounds, but someone also plead insanity for comitting murder after eating too many twinkies. Because pregnancy causes so many changes to both mind and body, a woman is not 100% in control of her thoughts or actions at any given time during pregnancy therefore, she can claim temporary insanity and have it work.
It is NOT true. And someone tried the twinkie defense but you don't know what that actually involved. You are speaking of things which you do NOT understand. Dan White was found guilty of manslaughter in the killing of Harvey Milk. Why? The argument was actually diminished capacity -- NOT from eating twinkies. That was a myth. DO NOT spread falsehoods. Basically the argument was Dan White was depressed. He did things to indicate his severe depression including not shaving, refusing to take care of himself, indulging in a diet that was not full of health foods but rather sugared treats. So don't go there.
A woman could claim temporary sanity but it would NOT work. If that were true then children should IMMEDIATELY be removed from every woman at the time of birth and not returned until the woman can prove she is sane.

LdiJ

It is NOT true. And someone tried the twinkie defense but you don't know what that actually involved. You are speaking of things which you do NOT understand. Dan White was found guilty of manslaughter in the killing of Harvey Milk. Why? The argument was actually diminished capacity -- NOT from eating twinkies. That was a myth. DO NOT spread falsehoods. Basically the argument was Dan White was depressed. He did things to indicate his severe depression including not shaving, refusing to take care of himself, indulging in a diet that was not full of health foods but rather sugared treats. So don't go there.
A woman could claim temporary sanity but it would NOT work. If that were true then children should IMMEDIATELY be removed from every woman at the time of birth and not returned until the woman can prove she is sane.
I agree completely, however, at the same time its not a myth that more than a few women are nutso when they are pregnant.

jmksjt0405

I agree with the comment made about making decisions while pregnant or breastfeeding... In my experience, I left my husband, who I was very happy with and very in llove with before I was pregnant. I got pregnant and left him cause I was not happy in our marriage at that time. I felt like he was the last thing I wanted.... But once I left he was done... He did not want me back ever. SO now we are divorce and our son was born and I am done breastfeeding and I felt like I made the biggest mistake. SO take it from someone who has been there. just wait and see how things work out. you never know it could turn out better than you ever imagined... Stay strong keep faith and Pray about it...I will pray about it for you

Isis1

It actually is true as funny as it sounds, but someone also plead insanity for comitting murder after eating too many twinkies. Because pregnancy causes so many changes to both mind and body, a woman is not 100% in control of her thoughts or actions at any given time during pregnancy therefore, she can claim temporary insanity and have it work.
uh, i did some looking up on that while i was pregnant after standing over the dad with a kitchen knife. while he was snoring.

i was working for a criminal attorney at the time. nope, not legally insane. i already checked.

nextwife

Did I miss the part where someone addressed that, once she is a single woman she will need to support herself, and be responsible for sharing the expense of supporting her baby? How does she intend to do that if she plans to be home with her baby attached to her nipple? While she certainly can and should plan on providing breastmilk, there is no guaranty financially she'd be able to be home full time for any extended period. We have no information that indicates anyone else will have the reposnibilty of supporting HER.

Poster, howe long was the marriage, and how long have you been out of the workforce, if at all?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree completely, however, at the same time its not a myth that more than a few women are nutso when they are pregnant.
Yes it is a myth that pregnancy makes women legally insane. Hormonal maybe but legally insane or diagnostically mentally ill due to pregnancy -- not in a vast number of people.

LdiJ

Yes it is a myth that pregnancy makes women legally insane. Hormonal maybe but legally insane or diagnostically mentally ill due to pregnancy -- not in a vast number of people.
Which is why I used the word "nutso" rather than "insane".;)

CJane

I'd just like to point out that dad isn't going to 'get' anything at all as far as custody/visitation. He's going to have to go through the same process as Mom and "fight" - even if it's a passive fight - for anything at all. He's certainly not going to "get" more than he WANTS.

No one has any information about what dad wants or what Mom wants or anything else. All we KNOW is that Mom wanted to know if breastfeeding will affect custody/visitation. The answer? Maybe - if Dad and Mom WANT it to and are willing to ALLOW it to.

LdiJ

I'd just like to point out that dad isn't going to 'get' anything at all as far as custody/visitation. He's going to have to go through the same process as Mom and "fight" - even if it's a passive fight - for anything at all. He's certainly not going to "get" more than he WANTS.

No one has any information about what dad wants or what Mom wants or anything else. All we KNOW is that Mom wanted to know if breastfeeding will affect custody/visitation. The answer? Maybe - if Dad and Mom WANT it to and are willing to ALLOW it to.
That is a very good point. If both mom and dad are committed to breastfeeding, in the best interest of the child, they will work it out depending upon the child's needs and the mom's ability to both produce the needed supply, and pump.

I will add something though that may be more important than people realize...when visitation first starts it really can be problematic to pump unless visits are short, because mom has to both feed the child AND pump and many women simply don't have enough supply. Once visitation is more consistant, mom can pump while the child is with dad, in advance for the next visitation.

Most doctors don't recommending supplementing with formula, because it can have negative effects on the baby's digestive system.

Rushia

I am not quoting anything but just want to know who is going to come over and clean my computer. Pregnant women are insane!!??? If you all ask my DH I'm sure that he'd agree with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">