• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and Seperating ... (Long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mommy2bagain510

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I got married on May 18, 2009. I found out mid-September I was pregnant. I am 13 weeks now. I have a son from a previous relationship who will be 2 in March. My husband said he would love him and treat him as his own son.

My husband and I are heading toward seperation and I just would like to know a little bit about what to expect and what I can do. I'll try to give details short and concise and be as efficient as possible.

He is in the USAF. I believe he has OCD. I am not allowed to touch 'his stuff.' He keeps his food on a seperate shelf from my stuff and my son's. We started having problems in July of this year when we were arguing and he was drunk and punched a hole in the wall of our apt. A friend of mine got worried and called his First Sgt. We had to go to a lot of classes and see people on base about it, and a lady was coming to our home to check up on things. Then in September one night, we argued and he was about to go get alcohol and I told him if he did I was leaving and going to my parents' that I did not want myself or my son around that.

The lady that did home visits was due for a visit and so she had to come to my parents' instead. I talked to her and my parents told her what they'd seen. She took the information with her and it was later determined by a board with the Air Force that he was guilty of Emotional Maltreatment of his spouse.

He's had to take several classes for Alcohol Abuse, see a psycologist on base, Anger Management as well. Things haven't changed. We have a joint checking account. He says he's taking my name off and giving me a different one. He is taking cable and internet away, and if I don't agree with it we can get an annullment; he's putting his foot down.

I'm pregnant. I stay home with my son (as per my husband's and my agreement) I've been sick and unable to get a job. I am on his TriCare insurance. I have no car or drivers' license and right now am staying with my parents. I am just wondering if I am entitled to any support before I have this baby and will he be able to take me off of his insurance BEFORE the baby is born? What bases should I cover?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You will not be able to get divorced before the baby is born, much less an annulment. I don't think the military will allow him to NOT support you during the course of this marriage.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Normally, he cannot divorce you while you are pregnant. He will be responsible for providing some support to you, via the increased monies he receives because he is married to you. (Can't remember the name of it at this time.)

If you are divorcing, address the fact that he keeps you on the insurance while still married. It is in his better interest to do so since he would then be liable to pay towards the medical bills of the pregnancy.

Mommy2bagain510

thank you both for your answers...they answered a lot of my questions. would it be in my interests to contact his superiors, do you think, or should I just wait?

ecmst12

Getting your drivers license, though, is something you should start working on right away. It will be much easier now then once you have an infant to take care of, and you'll definitely need one then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">