• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdogzena1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia My ex-husband and I have joint legal and physical custody. He has enrolled our son in private school and insists that I pay half. I am unemployed and am a full time nursing student. I am living with my parents and have no money of my own and my parents cannot afford to pay half. Can anyone give me some advice?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia My ex-husband and I have joint legal and physical custody. He has enrolled our son in private school and insists that I pay half. I am unemployed and am a full time nursing student. I am living with my parents and have no money of my own and my parents cannot afford to pay half. Can anyone give me some advice?
I can almost guarantee that a judge would not require you to pay for 1/2 of private schooling if you did not participate in making the decision and did not agree in advance to pay 1/2. I have yet to see a single case where a judge ordered a parent to pay 1/2 of private schooling in that scenario.

The times I do see it happening is when the child was in private school while the parents were together, and one parent wanted to pull them out of private schooling after they split up.

I will also add that since you have joint legal a physical custody, your ex did not have the right to make the decision to enroll the child in private school at all without your agreement. If you have any objection to the private school, you can take the matter to court.

cdogzena1

I can almost guarantee that a judge would not require you to pay for 1/2 of private schooling if you did not participate in making the decision and did not agree in advance to pay 1/2. I have yet to see a single case where a judge ordered a parent to pay 1/2 of private schooling in that scenario.

The times I do see it happening is when the child was in private school while the parents were together, and one parent wanted to pull them out of private schooling after they split up.

I will also add that since you have joint legal a physical custody, your ex did not have the right to make the decision to enroll the child in private school at all without your agreement. If you have any objection to the private school, you can take the matter to court.
Thank you for your help. He is also telling me that I have to pay for a school physical before 8/28/14. Do you have any advice on what I should do? School starts the day after Labor Day. I know court would be an option but I doubt that anything would be heard before that time.

Isis1

Thank you for your help. He is also telling me that I have to pay for a school physical before 8/28/14. Do you have any advice on what I should do? School starts the day after Labor Day. I know court would be an option but I doubt that anything would be heard before that time.
in the spirit of co-parenting....i won't say what you should tell your ex to do with his "you have to" BS.

say, "No".

LdiJ

You simply tell him no. You tell him that since you never agreed to your child attending private school that you are not required to assist in paying for it. You let him take you to court if he still thinks that you should pay.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Was the child in private school last year? When was the decision made for private school? What does the court order state regarding paying for the children's expenses?

cdogzena1

Was the child in private school last year? When was the decision made for private school? What does the court order state regarding paying for the children's expenses?
I was bullied into agreeing to private school last year. I was making minimum wage and had to ask my grandparents to pay when it got so far behind they were going to throw him out of school. Our child is exchanged monthly and there is no monetary order for expenses. Whoever has the child pays for what he needs.

cdogzena1

Please clarify. Given the circumstances you described, it was pretty clear you couldn't afford to send the child to private school. What compelled you to do so?
He gave me two options : private school thru his church or homeschooling. He also threatened to have his son taken to social services and put in foster care. ( I don't know if he could do that but the threat was given. I had enrolled him in public school and that is when he threatened me with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">