• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro--Athlete refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Taylorchantel

My X has been a professional athlete for 8 years in the NFL. Our daughter is almost 10 and he has requested a reduction in his child-support. I know he has made approx. 1 million/year for the last 3 years and am sure that he's hiding his assets. I have received only less than 2% of his income for the last 5 years. He has given away nearly 100,000 to charities, churches, etc. and spends nearly 8000/month on cars! I want to force him to stop giving so much money away and put some in trust for our daughter - or increase his support payments.How can I find out what assets he has? Also, what are child-support amount guidelines in the case of such large salaries?

LegalBeagle

Taylorchantel said:
My X has been a professional athlete for 8 years in the NFL. Our daughter is almost 10 and he has requested a reduction in his child-support. I know he has made approx. 1 million/year for the last 3 years and am sure that he's hiding his assets. I have received only less than 2% of his income for the last 5 years. He has given away nearly 100,000 to charities, churches, etc. and spends nearly 8000/month on cars! I want to force him to stop giving so much money away and put some in trust for our daughter - or increase his support payments.How can I find out what assets he has? Also, what are child-support amount guidelines in the case of such large salaries?
When dealing with such large amount, you MUST get an attorney and enter into discovery. Ie, you request every shred of his financial information. Then a judge will decide on the amount as it is outside the guidelines.
What is he currently paying?

T

Taylorchantel

Actually, that's the amount we agreed upon 5 years ago and it was ordered by the court. Since he filed for a reduction in support, we went to court in April. He told the judge he was planning to get back on a team this year, so the judge delayed hearing the case until September. He only has to pay $1000/month until then, and he's allowed to "borrow" that from our daughter's trust fund even though he has assets and property all over the country.

LegalBeagle

Then you should be able to afford a decent attorney. I know that is not what CS is for, but you will need one or he will 'screw' you and get a reduction.

btw, most states calculate CS on gross minus taxes... therefore the amount should be worked out before he starts to give it all away.

LegalBeagle

Taylorchantel said:
Actually, that's the amount we agreed upon 5 years ago and it was ordered by the court. Since he filed for a reduction in support, we went to court in April. He told the judge he was planning to get back on a team this year, so the judge delayed hearing the case until September. He only has to pay $1000/month until then, and he's allowed to "borrow" that from our daughter's trust fund even though he has assets and property all over the country.
You *need* to get an attorney.

T

Taylorchantel

I have an attorney. He has filed for discovery and financial affidavit prior to the April hearing. I convinced that there's a lot of info missing, but he hasn't taken steps to find out about hidden assets. I'm trying to find out the best way to get that info.

T

truth is powerful

My divorce also included an incomplete discovery on my ex's part. I would hire a private investigator if you are convinced he has hidden assets. I was able to find money on my own in two different places, not in the amounts you are possibly talking about, so get some help the money may be spread in many places. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">