• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedure for giving guardianship to non-relative in another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainbows

I'm 16 and live in Florida. I want to move in with my best friend (who is 18) and her parents who live in New York. If it's possible, I'd like her to be the recipient of guardianship, rather than her parents, but it's fine either way. My parents are okay with this, her parents are okay with this, and of course, she is okay with this. We just need to know what we need to do to make it actually happen.

mistoffolees

I'm 16 and live in Florida. I want to move in with my best friend (who is 18) and her parents who live in New York. If it's possible, I'd like her to be the recipient of guardianship, rather than her parents, but it's fine either way. My parents are okay with this, her parents are okay with this, and of course, she is okay with this. We just need to know what we need to do to make it actually happen.
Have your parents sign up here and ask the question. There is nothing YOU can do.

Furthermore, there are some very serious problems that the parents need to be made aware of. (not to mention that it's probably a waste of time for us to help because I don't believe that your parents are OK with just shipping you off to NYC to live with a friend and giving guardianship to an 18 year old).

Rainbows

The situation is more than 'I just want to go live with my best friend on a whim', however the reasons for it are not relevant and are more personal. If it was actually relevant to the situation I would agree to spill the beans, but all that you actually need to know about my situation to answer my question is that I'm from Florida and I want somebody in New York to have guardianship over me, and both of our parents are okay with it.

My parents don't have or use computers. They can use mine, of course, but I am actually proficient with computers and can thus look for help far quicker than they can. If you want to address anything to them you can feel free and I'll have them read it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Most of us will not discuss these sorts of issues with children. And that IS what you are. Sorry. You may need to consider paying for an attorney's time.

Rainbows

I do not understand why y'all want to make this difficult. I could understand if it were a regular custody dispute or something, but this is a situation where there is no dispute, and it's about guardianship rather than custody, and we have already made the decision and arrangements for me to move and everybody is okay with it. There's not an actual issue here, it's just a question of 'how do we do this'. If it's absolutely necessary I can set up an e-mail address and forum account for one of my parents so you can talk to them, but that just seems like a waste of time to me.

Silverplum

I do not understand why y'all want to make this difficult. I could understand if it were a regular custody dispute or something, but this is a situation where there is no dispute, and it's about guardianship rather than custody, and we have already made the decision and arrangements for me to move and everybody is okay with it. There's not an actual issue here, it's just a question of 'how do we do this'. If it's absolutely necessary I can set up an e-mail address and forum account for one of my parents so you can talk to them, but that just seems like a waste of time to me.
It's not "difficult" to go with your consenting parents to a local attorney to fill out the paperwork and arrange for it to be filed and processed legally. Not "difficult" at all. I recommend using your yellow pages directory.

;)

Silverplum

Let your fingers do the walking!

Do they still use that for Yellow Pages?
I wish they did. Don't think they do.

I had the High Honor of noticing that I was driving near the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile the other day!! :D:D:D (Yes, I took a moving pic.)

I sang for hours afterward. You know which song. :cool:

Rainbows

Thank you for actually answering the question, although I was hoping for a bit more detail. Like, what does my friend need to do on her end?

mistoffolees

Let your fingers do the walking!

Do they still use that for Yellow Pages?
I don't know, but phone books are one of my pet peeves. I probably get 3 of them per year (one 'real' yellow pages and 2 clones). Yet it's been years since I've used a phone book - it's easier and faster online. To make matters worse, our recycling place won't take phone books. :mad:

It may seem like a waste of time to you, but you don't set the rules. Nor do you decide what questions the volunteers will answer or not answer.

Look, most of us have been through plenty of manipulative teens on this site. As soon as we tell you what to do, you'll be running to your parents with the forms filled out and telling them that attorneys told you that you have to do this - and the parents get caught in the middle of a whirlwind you've created.

Now, if that's not the case and your parents really are OK with you moving to New York, then getting them to create their own account won't be a problem. Oh, and btw, some of the people here are pretty good linguists. Don't try to fake it.

gotmyown3

I don't know, but phone books are one of my pet peeves. I probably get 3 of them per year (one 'real' yellow pages and 2 clones). Yet it's been years since I've used a phone book - it's easier and faster online. To make matters worse, our recycling place won't take phone books. :mad:

It may seem like a waste of time to you, but you don't set the rules. Nor do you decide what questions the volunteers will answer or not answer.

Look, most of us have been through plenty of manipulative teens on this site. As soon as we tell you what to do, you'll be running to your parents with the forms filled out and telling them that attorneys told you that you have to do this - and the parents get caught in the middle of a whirlwind you've created.

Now, if that's not the case and your parents really are OK with you moving to New York, then getting them to create their own account won't be a problem. Oh, and btw, some of the people here are pretty good linguists. Don't try to fake it.
Hoo Haa! Amen! Preach on! What is going on with teens these days?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">