• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proposed Parenting Plan to Ex's Counsel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

campbell1250

What is the name of your state? CA

Would it be beneficial to send a copy of the proposed parenting plan that I have prepared to my ex-husband's attorney for her review in an attempt to settle?

Everything that I have read says that this is part of the settlement process that most courts want to see, but I am confused as to why they haven't even attempted to negotiate when the custody dispute started in March of this year.

Is it normal for no contact at all to be received from opposing counsel or are they expected to have some sort of conference with me at some time prior to our next court appearance which is the evidentiary hearing?

Thanks again for taking the time to give advice... All help is sooooo appreciated...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Would it be beneficial to send a copy of the proposed parenting plan that I have prepared to my ex-husband's attorney for her review in an attempt to settle?

Everything that I have read says that this is part of the settlement process that most courts want to see, but I am confused as to why they haven't even attempted to negotiate when the custody dispute started in March of this year.

Is it normal for no contact at all to be received from opposing counsel or are they expected to have some sort of conference with me at some time prior to our next court appearance which is the evidentiary hearing?

Thanks again for taking the time to give advice... All help is sooooo appreciated...
You have not been ordered to mediation? That is a normal first step in CA.

campbell1250

We have been to mediation twice with the third time scheduled for next Monday followed by an evidentiary hearing on Wednesday.

CourtClerk

When you say you've been ordered to mediation twice is it because of subsequent modifications or because the mediator wanted to continue discussions?

Send a copy of the proposed plan to the other side. It won't hurt anything. Make a copy available to the mediator also when you go. They can work from there.

campbell1250

Mediation has occurred once in April again in May and now a third time next week all on the same motion to modify custody. There is a temporary custody order that was granted on April 16th that included several orders that both parties must comply with prior to returning to mediation (the mediation session that is scheduled for next week)...

I have complied with every order given while father has failed to comply with approx. 80% of the dozen orders he was given.

The mediation is on Monday with an evidentiary hearing scheduled two days later. It all seems very confusing and overwhelming.

I am hoping and praying that the court and mediator see the willingness that I have to not only comply with temporary orders given but to attempt good faith communications with my sons father repeatedly only to be ignored or treated like an inconvenience.

I am going to go ahead and put the finishing touches on the parenting plan and have it ready for the mediator (as a possible starting place in the session) and then send a copy to my ex-husbands attorney and him as well if that is what you all think would be a possible way of a solution to custody dispute.

Maybe it will only serve as the beginning to the end but I have to feel like some progress is being made... Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it a bunch-a-lotta!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">