• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

psychological evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deadlunch

What is the name of your state? NY
How can I have a psychological evaluation done on my ex-wife? I am willing to have one done on myself too, so that is a non issue. My ex-wife is currently the custodial parent of my children; she is acting a little erratic lately and I am concerned that she is going off the deep end especially since insanity runs in her family. Is that reason enough to have it done or do I have to have a more valid incident? Would the fact that insanity runs in her family and I am concerned for the welfare of my children matter? Or is this like domestic violence cases and I have to wait until she kills one of my children before anyone acts? Any response given will be greatly appreciated.

rmet4nzkx

Deadlunch said:
How can I have a psychological evaluation done on my ex-wife? I am willing to have one done on myself too, so that is a non issue. My ex-wife is currently the custodial parent of my children; she is acting a little erratic lately and I am concerned that she is going off the deep end especially since insanity runs in her family. Is that reason enough to have it done or do I have to have a more valid incident? Would the fact that insanity runs in her family and I am concerned for the welfare of my children matter? Or is this like domestic violence cases and I have to wait until she kills one of my children before anyone acts? Any response given will be greatly appreciated.
As you already know, the best bet for obtaining a psychological evaluation of your ex is to Ask your attorney to petition the court or to ask the court to appoint a GAL, the GAL would in turn ask for this if their investigation suggested such evaluations were in the best interest of the children.

You have come to this site, refering other posters to different law sites rather than refering them to attorneya, in one case, where it was CA specific case and a CA attorney had refered them twice to an attorney because it was not appropriate to advise over the internet because it was too complex. So you don't seem to have much respect for the advice you receive here and you already indicated that you knew about the option of a GAL.

I am concerned that even though you live across from your children and thus should have easier contact, it may in fact be too close because you seem to be doing the same thing you accuse your ex of doing. You say she says bad things about you, yet think nothing about calling her names. Perhaps you should seek counseling first in addition to advice from your attorney. If your children are in danger or indicate abuse, call the police or CPS.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=296075 -
Deadlunch said:
What is the name of your state?NY
What exactly qualifies as a substantial change? I have my children 20% of the time and want it to be increased to 50/50. My ex-wife is heinous and keeps saying negative things about me- of course this I can't prove, but any law guardian would be able to get it out of the kids (11,7,5). I want to also get joint custody (at least of the younger two) and play a more active role in my children's lives but am consistently denied the right (I go to their teachers but my ex is so venemous that they are wary of her wrath). I am willing to go the full nine to get it, even if it means waiting a little while to gather proof. I do want to know what sort of documentation I need to show to the court to implement this. We live right across the street from each other so there's no great displacement and my son (7) always tells me he want to live with me- any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much :)
and
Deadlunch said:
I also want to have custody changed at least for the younger two. To address the other statement, like I said before, my wife is venemous, right now visitation with my oldest is sporadic- something I should have mentioned before, I apologize I didn't want this thread to be too long- as a result my oldest child has been unsure how to deal with me, although as long as the mother is not around we have a wonderful relationship for the very short time the child is here. As a result, I would not want to pressure that child with having to face the conflict and resentment of dealing with too much additional time (ie 50/50) and what the mother would say; the mother has even gone so far as to make my child feel guilty for having fun with me. I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that in order to have custody of all the children I would also have to impose the same visitation upon all of them...just reading it doesn't sound right..ok, so please tell me what other sort of documentation would I need to secure greater custody AND visitation? Thank you again for taking time to respond.

snostar

rmet4nzkx said:
I am concerned that even though you live across from your children and thus should have easier contact, it may in fact be too close because you seem to be doing the same thing you accuse your ex of doing. You say she says bad things about you, yet think nothing about calling her names. Perhaps you should seek counseling first in addition to advice from your attorney. If your children are in danger or indicate abuse, call the police or CPS.
So the OP will a midday meal for the evaluator. :D

Deadlunch

rmet4nzkx said:
As you already know, the best bet for obtaining a psychological evaluation of your ex is to Ask your attorney to petition the court or to ask the court to appoint a GAL, the GAL would in turn ask for this if their investigation suggested such evaluations were in the best interest of the children.

If I HAD known this I wouldn't have asked now would I? I was under the impression that it was court ordered by the judge based on the erratic behavior of my ex-wife rather than the evaluation of a Gal.

You have come to this site, refering other posters to different law sites rather than refering them to attorneya, in one case, where it was CA specific case and a CA attorney had refered them twice to an attorney because it was not appropriate to advise over the internet because it was too complex. So you don't seem to have much respect for the advice you receive here and you already indicated that you knew about the option of a GAL.

On MANY occasions I have asked questions that went unaswered; my references since I am NOT an attorney were for the sake of posters who for the most part did NOT receive a response from an attorney or other poster here- I was merely offering as much assistance as I hoped to receive for my posts- even if from a non lawyer. Now, think about this to yourself...if I had no respect for the advice I receive here, why would I continue to come here whenever I had legal questions I need answered? Recent events have made it that I have my children MUCH more often than even my ex-wife and I have realised just how much her efforts at destroying my character in their eyes is affecting them, especially in school- I HAVE NO TIME to play games here; I ask for advice and when I receive good advice I am grateful.

Now this one got me upset because I try so hard to be the bigger person with every encounter with my children and every reference to my ex-wife. I ENSURE that there is no demeaning references- nothing of the sort BECAUSE I know she speaks ill of me IN THEIR PRESENCE. I am however, only human and when she does a particular heinous thing, I get pissed off. When I come to this forum to ask for advice it is only as DEADLUNCH...I can call her a heinous, venemous, vile person because I am an anonymous user who is upset that his children are being used as a weapon. When it comes back time to be daddy- that's what I am...and I don the mask of respect for their mother in their presence. As for why it is I didn't get them as often as I should....come now, if you are an attorney, surely you know how the court system works...SHE LIED...and the judge believed her. She lied about how often I had them before we went to court, she lied about my involvement in their lives...she lied lied lied... and got away with it. She denied me visitation for four months- since it was not court ordered; I actually thought she would respect the arrangement we made, silly me for thinking that- claimed a whole lot of nonsense which were ALL proven to be unfounded by acs and got FULL custody, because the judge said she was the parent who had the children more often and since we couldn't agree- please tell me who ever AGREES in a divorce?- she was given full custody! I am in the process of retaining a lawyer so that I could have some say in my children's future...but it is a little expensive and so I come here to ask questions like these so that I wouldn't have to waste precious time and money in a consultation- I go in knowing what is or isn't feasible. I intend to call cps, but I want to be sure that when I do and when they are taken away from her they are given to me and not put through the foster care system. As I had said before, I am willing to go through an evaluation, counselling, parenting classes, whatever it takes for my children- you name it I am willing to do it, but I want their mother to have to do it too. I know what I want and what happens are two different things which is why I came here asking for ADVICE. I guess I did get my answer in the beginning of your post so thank you...and so ends my tirade.

Deadlunch

Interesting

snostar said:
So the OP will a midday meal for the evaluator. :D
Your initial response was one which seemed interested in helping me and it deteriorated into a jibe based on the former post. I have respect for Rmet because regardless of the- in my opinion erroneous- conclusion, it was one based on an honest assessing of my previous posts. I'm assuming that his/her response is what prompted your not very funny joke and I shudder to think that you may actually be a lawyer if so easily swayed from trying to help to trying to demean; the fate of your clients may just be in jeopardy if the opposition poses a REALLY good case. I'm not trying to battle in any way with you, but this is the my fate and the future of my children- your joke did not run well with me.

casa

Deadlunch said:
You can certainly request a Psychological Evaluation be done. (If you are asking for it, expect to be the one who pays for all/most of it- and Yes, BOTH parents will be evaluated). You must have a valid reason for requesting the evaluation- "Insanity" running in her family is not enough. First, "Insanity" is a general term and we don't know if any Mental Illness' in the family are genetically linked, or if there are any official diagnosis. Even if we did, having a Mental Illness (in and of itself) doesn't necessarily mean the children are in danger. ie; are they around those people? Is there illness one which puts the children in danger? Are they not treating their illness? etc. etc.

As rmet noted, the quickest & most cost effective way would be to petition for a GAL to represent the Best Interests of the children...if the GAL recommends an evaluation that will have much more weight in court.

snostar

FIRST of all, you don't just request an evaluation, you need to file for a modification first. For that you NEED a change of circumstance since the last order was set in place, and often times there is a waiting time period set. Only after your case has begun proceeding can your attorney request the evaluation. The GAL does not have to request it, but their approval would be neccessary.

snostar

Deadlunch said:
Your initial response was one which seemed interested in helping me and it deteriorated into a jibe based on the former post. I have respect for Rmet because regardless of the- in my opinion erroneous- conclusion, it was one based on an honest assessing of my previous posts. I'm assuming that his/her response is what prompted your not very funny joke and I shudder to think that you may actually be a lawyer if so easily swayed from trying to help to trying to demean; the fate of your clients may just be in jeopardy if the opposition poses a REALLY good case. I'm not trying to battle in any way with you, but this is the my fate and the future of my children- your joke did not run well with me.
It was a light hearted joke prompted my your username, get over it.
:rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why didn't you go to these lengths last year while your divorce was being finalized? And how much of the ex's animosity is due to your SO?

CJane

stealth2 said:
Oh - and what sort of "erratic" behavior?

That's what I'm wondering too. OP went (in one post) from 'a little erratic' (in ref to his ex) to 'do I have to wait til she kills one of the kids'. Seems.... overly dramatic.

And in my case... just living across the street from my ex would be enough to make me crazy, especially if I felt like he was watching me all the time just waiting for me to 'screw-up'.

AHA

Deadlunch said:
Obviously you can prove that you have reported to the police that she's working on killing your kids, right?

E

eme76

oh but they wont believe him about anything
everybody always believes his psyco ex with all her horrible lies:rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

Your ex didn't have to allow you to visit until there was a court order.
You freely accuse you ex of being mentally ill and other less than appropriate terms here, enough to assume they are second nature to you and no reason to assume you don't when with the children. In previous posts you indicated you knew about the avilability of a GAL and so that option is available to you as well.
While humorous, Snostar's comment re you being consumed for lunch, is true.
I am not an attorney, however I do at times, preform court ordered evaluations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">