• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MammaBear76

What is the name of your state? CA

Ok. . . well now I just received a filed petition from the ex's attorney stating that I have cut off all communication. I sent his attorney(certified mail) a copy of my phone bill that showed 11 phone calls in a 19 day period. This is more than he would talk to our daughter when we still lived in Illinois. I have all of this documentation to show the judge, but can an attorney make stuff up when I sent him proof that what he is saying is completely untrue?

His papers also stated that my ex has been around "each and every day of the child's life". . . he abandoned me when I was pregnant. . wasn't there for the birth and didn't meet her until she was a year and a half. And didn't excersise any "stable" visitation until almost 2 years later. Even then it was on and off. I don't understand how they can lie like this. I suppose I should take comfort in the fact that I have documented everything, and I can use the bills as proof that I have been allowing my daughter to call him.

VG1013

MammaBear76 said:

Ok. . . well now I just received a filed petition from the ex's attorney stating that I have cut off all communication. I sent his attorney(certified mail) a copy of my phone bill that showed 11 phone calls in a 19 day period. This is more than he would talk to our daughter when we still lived in Illinois. I have all of this documentation to show the judge, but can an attorney make stuff up when I sent him proof that what he is saying is completely untrue?

His papers also stated that my ex has been around "each and every day of the child's life". . . he abandoned me when I was pregnant. . wasn't there for the birth and didn't meet her until she was a year and a half. And didn't excersise any "stable" visitation until almost 2 years later. Even then it was on and off. I don't understand how they can lie like this. I suppose I should take comfort in the fact that I have documented everything, and I can use the bills as proof that I have been allowing my daughter to call him.
~~~Mammabear...Your ex's lawyer is going by what your ex has told him. It's good that you documented everything...keep allowing your child to be in contact with her dad, not only for proof...but more importantly for her.

B

Boxcarbill

MammaBear76 said:

The word that you are looking for is perjury. The attorneys are advocates, not witnesses, in the suit and the code of professional ethics prevents an attorney from serving in both capacities unless the subject of the testimony is not in dispute or unless the testimony regards attorney fees. For perjury to occur the person MUST be under oath to tell the truth and civil perjury is not prosecuted unless the accused is the President of the United States. Fact of the matter is there are not enough jails, even if we were to empty them of the inmates serving time on criminal offenses, to hold all the parties and witnesses in family law cases that commit perjury.

M

MammaBear76

Dyslexic

Sorry. . when I type as fast as I do. . I literally become dyslexic. .

Anyhow. . I just didn't think it was right that since I provided him with proof that he would still knowingly lie in a motion. I guess it's fine. It will just make them look worse when we go in front of the judge. There whole case is full of holes.

But thanks for the answers everyone!

lsut1ger

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

BCB...I'm curious. What, if any, are the penalties if the petition contains false information? In LA, the petitioner has to sign a verification attesting that the allegations contained in the petition are true and correct. So what if the allegations are untrue and it can reasonably be proved that he knew it was. I.e. claims she cut off contact when there is proof of phone conversations.

Or is that just one of those things where they go, yeah, but whatever...

lsut1ger

Hmm..okay...I just reread the bottom of your post. Looks like that answered my question... "civil perjury is not prosecuted"..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">