• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about "right to first refusal" regarding visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomx3dogs

What is the name of your state? RI
I have joint custody with my exwife. We have a legal agreement where if one of us can't watch our child during our visitation time we are to give the other parent first refusal before we ask anyone else. This is fair except the only time my exwife calls me is when she CAN'T find anyone else to watch our son and needs my help.The only reason my ex did this is she hates my new wife(jealous) and does not want her watching our child. She never has a problem if my parents,sister ect watches our child but if she finds out my wife did she throws the court order in my face.She will drag our child to the gym with her and make him sit in the corner rather than have him stay with my wife(who by the way he loves)Is there anything i can do about this? When i ask her why she did not call and ask me if i wanted to watch our son she allways has an excuss like he went to visit his grandparents or her sister/brother.

profmum

if your court order specifies FROR for the other parent, the only the other parent gets that right not the steparent or anyone else. If your ex is not honoring that, then she is in contempt, if she does not want stepmum from watching your child, she is merely following what your parenting agreeement is.. so really nothing you can do about that component

LdiJ

Ditto what profmum said...ROFR applies to YOU, not your wife or other members of your extended family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">