• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question re: medical bill "credit" from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bchbum

What is the name of your state? VA; however ex/children reside in GA.

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question … Four years ago, my husband’s ex took him to court "claiming" that he owed her $2000 in unpaid medical bills. At the time, the ex put in writing to her attorney that my husband could deduct $200 from what he owed her for medical bills as her portion of the dental insurance coverage for the kids. However, such was handwritten on a plain piece of paper and not signed or initialed by the ex (not on any type of personal letterhead either). She eventually dropped the lawsuit because we proved in court that not only did we NOT owe her a dime, she owed us money! My question is … IF he wanted to, could my husband still take advantage of the $200 credit and just deduct it from a medical bill that he now owes the ex for? Or, has it been too long?

Thanks in advance for your input~

haiku

If that 'credit" was not agreed to before THE COURT, and added to his current legal order, it has NO bearing and your husband could find himself in a load of trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">