• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mystyllyne

I have a question. I live in California and need to find out if a document can be changed so that my boyfriend will have to pay back child support.
He was previously married, and a child was born. He was put on the birth certificate, but his then wife told him the child was not his when they divorced. They both signed a document with him signing over his rights as a parent to this child, and he was not to be responsible for child support for the little girl. After 9 years, the little girl wanted to know who her dad was. They have met and have had very little contact.
The problem is, the little girl is now 14 and doesn't want to live with her mom anymore. She has stated that she wants to live with her dad. If my boyfriend and I allow the little girl to move in with us, and she decides that she doesn't want to live with us anymore, and wants to move back in with her mom, can that document be turned around to where my boyfriend will have to pay child support for the remaining 4 years? Can the document be turned around so that he will have to pay back child support. Just for the record, there has never been a DNA test and my boyfriend is not sure if this little girl is his or not. After divorcing my boyfriend, she married the man that she told my boyfriend was the little girls real father. I'm sorry this is so lengthy.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The thing is, he can't decide to play daddy for now, and then decide not to play daddy later. That's just screwing with the kid. If he wants to be involved with the girl as her father, then he needs to stand up and BE her father. That includes helping support her if she later decides to move out. Honestly, before he gets sucked in (the cynic in me says this could be a loverly little scam), he should get a DNA test to find out his actual status.

J

jjacobs852

Hi!

I agree. Your boyfriend must make a decision. Is he dad or not?? If you take this girl in and be dad, then he is dad, for better or for worse.

If there is an agreement already through the courts that he is not responsible financially for this girl, he can't be held responsible for past child support. However, if he assumes primary physical custody now, wisdom dictates that other arrangements be made through the courts. If the child is living with him, her mom could be asked to pay child support. If things don't work out and she moves back with mom, having accepted responsibility as dad for this child, it's quite reasonable for mom to ask for child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">