• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions about possible relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scared-n-ohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OhioWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I have custody of our 2 1/2 year old daughter, and my ex husband has custody of our 4 year old son. currently, we live 80 miles apart, however, I could possibly be buying a home soon, which is going to change our distance to 129 miles apart. Ohio law still allows for local visitation rules permitting that we are within 150 miles of each other. My question is, would this constitute a "change in circumstances" that may able him to gain custody of our daughter?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OhioWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I have custody of our 2 1/2 year old daughter, and my ex husband has custody of our 4 year old son. currently, we live 80 miles apart, however, I could possibly be buying a home soon, which is going to change our distance to 129 miles apart. Ohio law still allows for local visitation rules permitting that we are within 150 miles of each other. My question is, would this constitute a "change in circumstances" that may able him to gain custody of our daughter?
You can live further apart than that and still have local visitation plans. HOWEVER, how are you going to continue doing the travel for all the local visitation? Are you going to be able to continue to do so? When do the children see each other? Why would you move FURTHER away from your son? You can't buy a house CLOSER?

scared-n-ohio

Our children see each other every weekend he gets our daughter on the weekend that I don't have our son and vice versa. I'm extremly torn about furthering the distance, however, where my son is located and my job is now located, go two different directions. I made certain that moving closer to my job would justify financially and would still keep me within local visitation. Since our situation is rare however (he having custody of one child and i of the other) I'm nervous that the extra travel for him might prompt him to try to take custody of her. Does anyone know how likely it actually would be that he could obtain custody? Or if this move is likely to substantiate a modification of custody?

Thanks

Last edited:

scared-n-ohio

Also, the move is not to further the distance from my ex, we communicate ok, and I also communicate well with his girlfriend.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It would be a guess but if you can continue to keep the same schedule he would not most likely NOT get custody changed. However, you might be providing MORE of the transportation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Our children see each other every weekend he gets our daughter on the weekend that I don't have our son and vice versa. I'm extremly torn about furthering the distance, however, where my son is located and my job is now located, go two different directions. I made certain that moving closer to my job would justify financially and would still keep me within local visitation. Since our situation is rare however (he having custody of one child and i of the other) I'm nervous that the extra travel for him might prompt him to try to take custody of her. Does anyone know how likely it actually would be that he could obtain custody? Or if this move is likely to substantiate a modification of custody?

Thanks
Why would he have any extra travel? You should be picking up the differential due to your move - his travel shouldn't change.

On a different note, though... how did this sibling split come about? And why? I'm thinking about my two and our divorce. They were the constants in each other's lives, and that was something I actively promoted - no matter which of us they were with and what may have been going on, they could always count on each other. At (near enough) 15 and 17, they are really tight and still look out for one another. Sure, the occasional spat, but for the most part they are not only siblings - they are friends. I can't imagine how two kids who see each other only on weekends could develop that. And that, to me, is sad.

Last edited:

modad75

This is not anything to answer your question...but I didn't know they would split children up, one to go to mom and one to go to dad.

nextwife

Maybe rethink the wisdom of uprooting yourself for a job?

I've worked all sorts of distances from my homes over the years, and I am SO grateful I never moved FOR a job! Jobs may come and go, the locations change, but staying put in one home saves a LOT of aggravation and expense. Since 1979, I've resided in two contiguous zip codes. Since 96, I've had 5 different employers in 3 different counties, and never messed with my home. AS a result, even in the current RE crisis, I have 80% equity. IMHO, mobility is a drain on the pocketbook and disruptive to families.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">