• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about sex offender being granted custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mbrewer1748

Louisiana.

Baby was born 9/15/15. The father of the baby lives in Alabama. Father has only seen her once at the hospital. He is not on the birth certificate. He has a criminal record(sex offender, bugulary, and felon in possession of armed weapons). His drivers licenses is suspended and has been for many years.

What would the process look like if he took me to court for joint custody? He threatened to take me to court for full custody and I would only have visitation rights(which will never be approved).

Would they send a newborn to a different state if joint custody was awarded? Could I request that he takes parental classes because he has never been around children due to him being in prison? Could he be denied custody if I said he increased sexual harm to our child(by submitting his sex offender charges)?

Overall I'm looking for an overview of how things will play out. Thank you.

I'mTheFather

If he pursues paternity establishment and custody, he will receive visitation, eventually in his home. You can request anything you want. You may or may not get it. The sex offender status may or may not be a factor, depending on the circumstances.

If you didn't want him to be a father, then why make him a father?

Just Blue

Louisiana.

Baby was born 9/15/15. The father of the baby lives in Alabama. Father has only seen her once at the hospital. He is not on the birth certificate. He has a criminal record(sex offender, bugulary, and felon in possession of armed weapons). His drivers licenses is suspended and has been for many years.

What would the process look like if he took me to court for joint custody? He threatened to take me to court for full custody and I would only have visitation rights(which will never be approved).

Would they send a newborn to a different state if joint custody was awarded? Could I request that he takes parental classes because he has never been around children due to him being in prison? Could he be denied custody if I said he increased sexual harm to our child(by submitting his sex offender charges)?

Overall I'm looking for an overview of how things will play out. Thank you.
When was he convicted of the sexual crime? Was against a child? If so, what age and relationship to the father? Did you know about this before you became pregnant? If so....Why did you have sex with this man?

When was he convicted of the sexual crime? Was against a child? If so, what age and relationship to the father? Did you know about this before you became pregnant? If so....Why did you have sex with this man?
Un protected sex to boot there are little balloon things to prevent that!:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">