• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on child custody and support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JNM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband and I in the very beginning stages of divorce. We are talking about joint custody (as equally shared as possible). How does that affect child support calculations? Also, he has a business in addition to his job which he makes pretty good money with but has only had for about 6 months. We do have a W-2 from the company to prove income earned, but he thinks this would not count because it's a new business. How would that affect the support order with shared custody?

Also, we just recently purchased a house which is in my name only, not his due to bad credit. The house was on the market for a long time due to the real estate industry, and it would be a challenge to resell it, and I don't feel comfortable moving out and putting my credit at risk, but at the same time I currently can't afford house on my own. Any suggestions on a way to work this out?

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband and I in the very beginning stages of divorce. We are talking about joint custody (as equally shared as possible). How does that affect child support calculations? Also, he has a business in addition to his job which he makes pretty good money with but has only had for about 6 months. We do have a W-2 from the company to prove income earned, but he thinks this would not count because it's a new business. How would that affect the support order with shared custody?

Also, we just recently purchased a house which is in my name only, not his due to bad credit. The house was on the market for a long time due to the real estate industry, and it would be a challenge to resell it, and I don't feel comfortable moving out and putting my credit at risk, but at the same time I currently can't afford house on my own. Any suggestions on a way to work this out?

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Why would it matter how CS was affected?
The W-2 will matter as well as past W-2's would.

JNM

He was under the impression that with shared custody, he wouldn't have to pay as much. And I did find some calculators, etc online today that ask how many days each parent had children and that it does affect the support order. Is that not true?

He was under the impression that with shared custody, he wouldn't have to pay as much. And I did find some calculators, etc online today that ask how many days each parent had children and that it does affect the support order. Is that not true?
The amount of overnights DOES affect CS.
But, why does it matter?
You claim you both want to share as equally as possible.
It would be unfair to the children if either of you is using $$$ to decide on custody.

Last edited:

Silverplum

The amount of overnights DOES affect CS.
But, whay does it matter?
You claim you both want to share as equally as possible.
It would be unfair to the children if either of you is using $$$ to decide on custody.
It matters because she can't keep the house without HIS money. It matters because she WANTS.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JNM

I want to be fair, and our daughters' best interest are the main thing for sure! I just want to know what my rights are, so I know what options I have. We bought the house in August at which time we had an enormous fight about the fact that I didn't feel we could afford it unless his spending habits changed. We went on a strict budget in which every penny is now accounted for, and there really is no extra and he made countless promises at that point about how things would change, etc. Now I find out that he already talked to a lawyer and been planning on a divorce before he manipulated me into signing for this new house (also should note it was a messy situation in that the landlord only gave us 35 days to move out of her house due to her and her husband divorcing), and it was a very stressful situation for me. But I feel that I signed for the house under false pretenses that we would be together even though he knew that wasn't the case and kept it from me. Now I have to decide between putting my credit further at risk (due to his past history of foreclosures and bad credit I don't want to move out with my name on the house and he can't refinance) or staying in a house that I can't afford on my own. I am okay with sharing custody because I think that would make the transition on the children smoothest and he is a wonderful father, I just want to make sure that we are not eating Cheerios when they're with me and steak when they're with him. I am the least greedy person you would ever meet. I just don't know much about law and want to know what my options are. Is there a way that you know of that I could move out of the house without having to put my credit at risk if he is unable to refinance it?

I want to be fair, and our daughters' best interest are the main thing for sure! I just want to know what my rights are, so I know what options I have. We bought the house in August at which time we had an enormous fight about the fact that I didn't feel we could afford it unless his spending habits changed. We went on a strict budget in which every penny is now accounted for, and there really is no extra and he made countless promises at that point about how things would change, etc. Now I find out that he already talked to a lawyer and been planning on a divorce before he manipulated me into signing for this new house (also should note it was a messy situation in that the landlord only gave us 35 days to move out of her house due to her and her husband divorcing), and it was a very stressful situation for me. But I feel that I signed for the house under false pretenses that we would be together even though he knew that wasn't the case and kept it from me. Now I have to decide between putting my credit further at risk (due to his past history of foreclosures and bad credit I don't want to move out with my name on the house and he can't refinance) or staying in a house that I can't afford on my own. I am okay with sharing custody because I think that would make the transition on the children smoothest and he is a wonderful father, I just want to make sure that we are not eating Cheerios when they're with me and steak when they're with him. I am the least greedy person you would ever meet. I just don't know much about law and want to know what my options are. Is there a way that you know of that I could move out of the house without having to put my credit at risk if he is unable to refinance it?
Do you work?

Well, if your trying to get more money in CS if he has less overnights so you can afford the house payment, it won't work.
The amount is not that much.
If you split custody evenly, they will be very healthy, lots of protein in the steaks at Dad's and Cheerios are good for them too!
You can't have it all. If you can't afford the house and Dad can't refinance, you will have to sell. You say you were on a tight budget before, you can't get water from a stone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">