• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE: Food Stamp Fraud in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Mistakes

RE: Food Stamp Fraud in GA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

There was a thread floating around wherein several people were accusing OP of committing welfare fraud for obtaining food stamps for his not legally established, legal stranger daughter.

I just wanted to set the record straight so that people in a similar situation wouldn't think they were committing fraud.

According to the GA DFCS website, the OP is NOT committing fraud in reagrds to the food stamps.

Food Stamps

The Georgia Food Stamp program provides monthly benefits to low-income households to help pay for the cost of food. A household may be one person living alone, a family, or several, unrelated individuals living together who routinely purchase and prepare meals together.

And

http://www.dfcs.dhr.georgia.gov/DHR-DFCS/DHR-DFCS_Food_Stamps/297- I-InformationSheet.pdf

What Do the Words Used in the Application Mean?

This chart explains the words we have used in the application.

Caretaker
A parent, relative or legal guardian who applies for TANF for children in their care

Disqualified
The action taken to remove an individual from a Food Stamp or TANF case because they did not tell the truth and received benefits that they should not have received

Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT)
The system used in Georgia to pay benefits to individuals who are eligible for Food Stamps or TANF. Individuals receiving assistance are issued an EBT debit card, which is used to withdraw cash benefits and to access their food stamp accounts

Household Members
Individuals who live in your home

Income
Payments such as wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses, worker’s compensation, disability, pension, retirement benefits, interest, child support or any other form of money received

Migrant Farm Workers
Individuals who are seasonal farm workers and move from one home base to another to work or look for farm work

Resources
Cash, property, or assets such as bank accounts, vehicles, stocks, bonds, and life insurance

Seasonal Farm Workers
Individuals who work at certain times of the year planting, picking or packing produce. They are hired on a temporary basis when a job requires more workers than the farm employs on a regular basis

Trafficking
Selling or trading Food Stamp benefits for profit

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Agency formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)

Just an FYI. :)

BlessedDaddy

Thank you so much. Not that I needed to know that, because I've read those rules out of choice up in down when I applied, even though the caseworker told me in the first place I'd qualify. You spend a lot of time in the waiting room at DFACS, might as well read about what's going on.

It's good to know at least one senior member here is actually trying to find the truth, as opposed to taking slanderous speculation and running wild with it.

Kudos to you, sir or ma'am.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you so much. Not that I needed to know that, because I've read those rules out of choice up in down when I applied, even though the caseworker told me in the first place I'd qualify. You spend a lot of time in the waiting room at DFACS, might as well read about what's going on.

It's good to know at least one senior member here is actually trying to find the truth, as opposed to taking slanderous speculation and running wild with it.

Kudos to you, sir or ma'am.
So why did you delete your thread?

BlessedDaddy

It had turned into a messhole of insults and mudslinging. Far from what I would hope either of us were looking to accomplish today. I've read your sticky and know that you frown upon deleted threads in hopes of the information shared being helpful to others.

The problem was if someone actually listened to anything in thread given to me outside of "you don't have any legal say" (and even then, according to the UCCJEA, that might not be 100% true at all), they would be worse off than they were before.

1. I'm committing food stamp fraud-wrong.

2. I can't enroll my "stranger child" in school-wrong.

3. A judge will completely ignore the facts that I've been this child's father for 3 1/2 years now and am the only one she knows as father, have currently been her primary caretaker, and the emotional issues created by instantly yanking her away from the person who literally does everything for her at the moment and has for months, not to mention what I've done in the past before the current situation-completely presumptuous and if the judge is even 15% reasonable, that's more than likely wrong too.

I'm not saying it would take the case or anything like that, but it wouldn't be simply tossed to the side by any judge with more acumen and common sense than ole' Judge Noland here in Georgia, who has since passed on (google him if you don't know, put in 'calves' and 'bull' with it). It would mean something.

If the judge knows anything about the UCCJEA, a kidnapping accusation would hurt her mother more than help her at this point, I would think.

Sorry, Ohio, I came to this forum looking for further understanding of the UCCJEA and received nothing of the such in return. That thread wasn't even good for you guys and gals' business.

cyjeff

To obtain services for a child, and I quote from the ABOVE...

Caretaker
A parent, relative or legal guardian who applies for TANF for children in their care
The person in question is not a legal parent, relative or guardian.

And the other servers are STILL down....

BlessedDaddy

Nice try, but I don't get TANF. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Agendas shouldn't override the truth.

According to the caseworkers at DFACS themselves, I could apply for TANF, but if I did, I'd have to turn her mother in for child support...and, not to turn this into another pigpen, I have my own grievances with that system to the point where, Lord willing, I'd never be in a position to have to put her mother on that. NEVER.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Nice try, but I don't get TANF. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Agendas shouldn't override the truth.

According to the caseworkers at DFACS themselves, I could apply for TANF, but if I did, I'd have to turn her mother in for child support...and, not to turn this into another pigpen, I have my own grievances with that system to the point where, Lord willing, I'd never be in a position to have to put her mother on that. NEVER.
Ya know what... never mind.

I actually called DFACS at lunch today... in Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton and Cherokee counties. All said the same. That I couldn't apply for bennies if the child wasn't mine.

You are saying that a DFACS worker liked your face SO much that she decided to illegally sign you up for benefits. Fine.

Still doesn't make you the dad. Still doesn't mean you can ambush mom out of custody.

You can try, but you better not get a judge that sees it for the ruse it is.

BlessedDaddy

Sure, Cyjeff, sure... :rolleyes:

I lucked up and found a crooked caseworker and, lo and behold, crooked literature straight from the Georgia DFACS website itself. Man I'm good with the internet, huh? You never quit, do you?

As for your phonecalls..."PROVE IT!" As you guys would say. I have documentation proving I'm not committing fraud, you sir, have a pigeon holed agenda.

2mistakes has it here plain as day. My "legal stranger who just happens to call me daddy" isn't receiving benefits illegally, no matter how many times you post otherwise. No matter how much time you take from your life to make ridiculous exploratory phonecalls into DFACS, whom has better things to do than field the calls of people asking hypothetical questions calling from an area code that is more than likely far from here (yeah, they have caller ID, and religiously look at it), THE WEBSITE SAYS IT'S NOT ILLEGAL. That's the same exact phrasing used on their application literature as well.

It's not hard to imagine that if some genius is calling in asking "Well, what if I..." then the answer he's probably going to get is no. All you have to do is spend five minutes in the place to see that the majority of the gatekeepers there (the people who answer the phone when you call the general phone number, not the actual caseworkers themselves. They are also the people in the window you have to go through first before you talk to caseworker) are looking to say 'no' as quickly as they can and move to the next one.

You really think they had time or the want-to to play "what if's?" with you? Try walking in there with a child (that's calling you 'daddy'), a birth certificate, a SS card, and then report back what they tell you.

I feel sad for you. I really do.

Last edited:

CJane

It appears that GA has many of the same rules as MO does regarding EBT benefits.

You don't have to show that the children living in your household are yours. Only that they live there. And you must have an SSN for them.

HOWEVER... I'm a bit disturbed that 'BD's distrust of the child support system has led him to believe it's better if WE support his child than that her MOTHER does.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

YOu know what -- I didn't tell you you were committing food stamp fraud. I told you you had to establish paternity and that I felt it was underhanded to wait and it was better for the child to do it sooner rather than later. Which it is. Legally you are NOTHING to this child. LEGALLY. And that matters. And if you wanted to do what was best for the child you would establish paternity NOW -- or actually at birth -- and go from there.

BlessedDaddy

It appears that GA has many of the same rules as MO does regarding EBT benefits.

You don't have to show that the children living in your household are yours. Only that they live there. And you must have an SSN for them.

HOWEVER... I'm a bit disturbed that 'BD's distrust of the child support system has led him to believe it's better if WE support his child than that her MOTHER does.
Heh...I knew that one was coming. Let's see...I've been paying taxes since 15 years old. That's 13 years. I've only taken a grand total of five semesters of school where I wasn't working a full time job at the time since I've been of age to go to college. So guess who else is a part of "WE?"

Hmmmm....

ME. So, if it really pisses you off, oh, excuse me, leaves you a 'bit disturbed' that I'm getting an extremely tiny fraction of what I've paid into government back, then well, sorry for you. When you get old and my tax dollars are paying for your living when you retire, I'll be sure to make a post about it, somehow, somewhere as well...and I'll be sure to use the words "a bit disturbed."

So quick to assume, huh? Just another welfare case that your ("WE," as you say) tax dollars pay to mooch off the government. Sure, buddy. Poor you. Up until I unexpectedly had to pick up my daughter, I was in the same exact boat you were in. Only I didn't piss and moan about it.

Once again, the narrow minded, 'let me show everyone here how smart I am by picking on another guy' prevailing train of thought of this board rears its ugly head and shows how pathetic it really is.

Not to mention...you have no idea if her mother is putting anything in the pot here or not. Just because you or some of the people you know may have needed government enforcement to ensure they were making an effort to help support their children (or simply were too petty to reasonably settle it and stick to it themselves) doesn't mean everyone else does.

BlessedDaddy

YOu know what -- I didn't tell you you were committing food stamp fraud. I told you you had to establish paternity and that I felt it was underhanded to wait and it was better for the child to do it sooner rather than later. Which it is. Legally you are NOTHING to this child. LEGALLY. And that matters. And if you wanted to do what was best for the child you would establish paternity NOW -- or actually at birth -- and go from there.
Like I said, my reply was clearly to cyjeff. Not you.

I couldn't control the establishing paternity at birth part of it, and I'll take your LEGAL advice and skip your moral advice, with this being a legal forum and all.

Amazing how posts start disappearing around here once you're bound and determined to get the last word.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Amazing how posts start disappearing around here once you're bound and determined to get the last word.
It's also amazing how posts start disappearing around here when the poster is doing nothing more than acting like a petulant child.

Even if you're not a father, you're a father figure. Grow up.

BlessedDaddy

It's also amazing how posts start disappearing around here when the poster is doing nothing more than acting like a petulant child.

Even if you're not a father, you're a father figure. Grow up.
Wow. Blanket insult. No substance whatsoever, yet you have the audacity to say someone is acting like a petulant child.

I'm not acting "grown up" because I don't take a heavy helping of personal insults, slander, and lies with a smidgen of legal advice with a smile, nod and "please, sir, may I have another?"

So falsely accusing someone of food stamp fraud even when the evidence that proves that clearly isn't the case ranks high on your maturity scale?

I'm not the one that needs to reevaluate things here, buddy.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Fine... in an effort to move this conversation along, I will agree that no fraud has taken place...

Fine?

Still doesn't make you dad. Still doesn't prevent mom from coming TOMORROW and reclaiming her daughter. Still doesn't prevent mom from calling the police if you refuse.

You are still not legally the child's father... and your tactic of "I will pursue paternity when it is convenient to me" is going to come back to bite you.

If you truly want what is best for the child, file for paternity today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">