• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinquish parental rights???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dwellewd

State: CA

My husband supposedly got a girl pregnant when he was about 14 years old (from what I hear, she was a very promiscuous). At the time, she told him that the baby couldn't be his; however, she still had his name put on the birth certificate. The child was born in CA, but he lived in PA at that time. When the child turned 7 years, he received a call from her stating that the child was in fact his. He then recieved papers from Child Support Services. He called them and requested DNA tests, which they never got back to him on.

Now, 3 years later he recieved another letter from them stating that he owes years past child support, about $15k. He requested another DNA test, which he is waiting for them to get back on. He would like to relinquish his parental rights at this time. The daughter is now 10 years, whom he has never seen or talked to. Things could be different if the mother hadn't denied he was the father from the begining. So my question is can he delinquish is parental rights? If so, will he have to pay current and back child support?

Please help us.:confused:

weenor

He may be able to relinquish his rights depending on the situation...but he will owe the back child support if he is the father...it is no longer the mother he owes the money to but the state...they will come after him with a vengeance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Things would also have been different if he hadn't simply taken her word for it, hadn't dropped the ball when he didn't hear back abotu paternity testing, etc.

It is unlikely that he will get out of paying what's already been ordered. Most likely, he was determined the father by default (why it's bad to ignore these sorts of things). Unless Mom has someone willing to adopt, he can forget relinquishing his rights. His best bet is to step up to his obligations, pay the support, meet the child and learn to be her Dad.

Neal1421

Dwellewd said:

My husband supposedly got a girl pregnant when he was about 14 years old (from what I hear, she was a very promiscuous). At the time, she told him that the baby couldn't be his; however, she still had his name put on the birth certificate. The child was born in CA, but he lived in PA at that time. When the child turned 7 years, he received a call from her stating that the child was in fact his. He then recieved papers from Child Support Services. He called them and requested DNA tests, which they never got back to him on.

Now, 3 years later he recieved another letter from them stating that he owes years past child support, about $15k. He requested another DNA test, which he is waiting for them to get back on. He would like to relinquish his parental rights at this time. The daughter is now 10 years, whom he has never seen or talked to. Things could be different if the mother hadn't denied he was the father from the begining. So my question is can he delinquish is parental rights? If so, will he have to pay current and back child support?

Please help us.:confused:
He should have been very persistant in getting the DNA test done years ago when he got the 1st notice about child support. He should have at least sent a letter or something back to them because at this point they could say that he didn't answer at all and awarded that he pay child support by default.

If he has been named as the father now, he cannot relinquish his rights to the child unless there is someone-a stepparent to adopt.
Yes, they can go after him for back child support back to the time that she filed with the court since he just ignored the judgment. He will have to prove that he requested a DNA test which will probably be hard since according to the post, he just called in once.

NotSoNew

Dwellewd said:
He called them and requested DNA tests, which they never got back to him on.
this part worrys me, you dont just CALL And say you want a paternity test, you have to file legal paperwork for it. which is probably why they "ignored" it because legally he did nothing and he was declared the father by default.

so as others have said he cant reliquinsh his rights now unless mom agrees and their is a step parent to adopt.

Dwellewd

This is even true when the mother of the child has been married since before the child was born? Her husband has obviously been taking care of the child as both the father figure and financially. The first time my husband was told that child was his, she had asked him to relinquish his rights. Now it is a different story. Now she wants him to pay child support, not relinquish his rights, but does not want him involved in the childs life in any other way. If he does have to pay child support, then he should be involved in the childs life. Living on opposite sides of the US makes it very difficult.

So now the state is going to make our (his new family) go into foreclosure on his home. Plus make it difficult for him to even feed his family. I just don't understand how that's right :(

Dwellewd said:

My husband supposedly got a girl pregnant when he was about 14 years old (from what I hear, she was a very promiscuous).
Sounds like he was promiscuous also! He too was too young (14 years old) to be doing the nasty so don't just point the finger at the biomom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">