• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocating, no custody arrangement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shadow8520

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Im a mom to a 1 year old son, and his father and i have gone through child support and established paternity, but we have no custody or visitation arrangements. He pays monthly child support, and sees his son only 1 day a week, his decision, he wont arrange his schedule to be with him more. My fiance is in the military and we are living together, and he was recently notified that he has an opportunity to move to another city,Akron, and have a better salary. My ex loves his son, and he is a good father when hes there, but im afraid he will try to make it difficult for me to move with my son and fiance. Can he, and what can i do to help my case if he makes a fuss? i dont think hell ever try for sole custody, he likes his freedom too much for that.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

Im a mom to a 1 year old son, and his father and i have gone through child support and established paternity, but we have no custody or visitation arrangements. He pays monthly child support, and sees his son only 1 day a week, his decision, he wont arrange his schedule to be with him more. My fiance is in the military and we are living together, and he was recently notified that he has an opportunity to move to another city,Akron, and have a better salary. My ex loves his son, and he is a good father when hes there, but im afraid he will try to make it difficult for me to move with my son and fiance. Can he, and what can i do to help my case if he makes a fuss? i dont think hell ever try for sole custody, he likes his freedom too much for that.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

if your ex loves his son as much as you say, then he'll take you to court for a modification in custody based on mom moving out of jurisdiction. or, dad could motion for a long distance parenting plan that requires frequent long distance parenting weekends, vacations, all of summers, frequent phone contact, webcam access, your full financial support in transportation....

LdiJ

How far exactly would you be moving?

shadow8520

its from toledo to akron, so about 140 miles away. i dont have a problem with a long distance parenting plan, im just worried hell try to make me stay in toledo.

Isis1

its from toledo to akron, so about 140 miles away. i dont have a problem with a long distance parenting plan, im just worried hell try to make me stay in toledo.
he can't make YOU stay in toledo. he can request the court to make the CHILD stay in toledo. which might be with him.

nextwife

Is there a REALLY good reason you and your fiance can't live in Akron? Are you improving YOUR career and your income earning ability by moving?

CourtClerk

he can't make YOU stay in toledo. he can request the court to make the CHILD stay in toledo. which might be with him.
I doubt that. There is no current custody agreement and while it's pretty sad mom would move this child away from his father (relative) to be with her friend (non relative), she can do what she wants at this point.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I doubt that. There is no current custody agreement and while it's pretty sad mom would move this child away from his father (relative) to be with her friend (non relative), she can do what she wants at this point.
Agreed. Mom will get to move with the child to Akron from Toledo. They are not that far away. Dad could still easily get a standard order and carry through on it (except maybe the midweek visits) with that distance -- it is only about 2 hours to drive if you move with traffic. Maybe 2.5 hours.

THERE IS NO COURT ORDER. Venue will change from Toledo to Akron after 90 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">