• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocation of custodial parent

• Thread starter michele chanecka
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michele chanecka

i currently live in louisiana with my two boys. the father also lives in la. about 45 minutes away. he has the two boys every other weekend and midweek after school and two weeks during the summer. i will be getting married in afew months and will be moving to mississippi. however, it is only about 20 minutes farther, taking only about 1 hour. i would even agree to meeting my ex closer than my home to exchange the children. what do i need to do before my move? i want this to go smoothly so i need advise before notifying my ex. how will the courts look upon this move since it is out of state? help please!

Ambr

every move away case is different and alot depends on the judge that you go before.

i would go through the motions now. especially if you think that you ex will fight your move.

i am not certain on the exact time frames for LA, but most states require a 60 day notification. since you want to get married in a couple of months and move - you better get cracking.

here is some contact information for you - the volunteer lawers project 1-800-256-1260 there is also a legal clinic - don't know what part of louisiana you are in, the northern clinic 318-323-8851 if that isn't in your area, they may be able to help you with other areas.

when you detail everything out, you need to stress that although it technically is in another state that it is just 20 minutes away from your current residence. that you are willing to meet him closer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">