• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation in a Custody Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I have also another question regarding my custody case. I do have full custody of my daughter, and she has not had a relationship with her BM in a very very long time, last time she really "had" her was when she was born. I was just curious do I have to ask for permission to move out of state? and if I dont and I do move do i have to tranfer my case to the new state? Also what are the odds that if I do have to ask to the courts permission to move that the judge will not grant it? My wife and I are planning on moving to Oregon.
Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
that link went nowhere Eme.
As for moving -- apparently mom wants something to do with the child. You HAVE to get permission from the court to move. You cannot just up and move with the child because you want to. A lot of it will depend on your reasons for the move, how far away it will, how it would interfere with mom's visitation and what not.

Ohiogal said:
that link went nowhere Eme.
As for moving -- apparently mom wants something to do with the child. You HAVE to get permission from the court to move. You cannot just up and move with the child because you want to. A lot of it will depend on your reasons for the move, how far away it will, how it would interfere with mom's visitation and what not.
Well, she has no ordered visitation and I was told by my judge to not force it and let her come around when shes ready, first couple of months I tried because I just wanted her to have a relationship with my daughter but she doesnt want to...only thing she wants is to make sure her mother gets to speak with our daughter, and she does. In our order the BM was basically proven to be unfit. We want to move to Oregon which is not very far away the border is 35 min. away from where I live and we were thinking of moving, because of job reasons and my daughter hasnt started preschool yet so she wouldnt have to change schools and she has no other family on that side that lives here. So like we are stuck from ever moving until the BM comes around??

I meant to say, so no matter wheather the BM comes around or not we are basically stuck from being able to move out of state?

GrowUp!

George1620 said:
I meant to say, so no matter wheather the BM comes around or not we are basically stuck from being able to move out of state?
What does your order say in regards to moving and giving notice since she does not have any ordered parenting time?

LdiJ

George1620 said:
No, you are not necessarily "stuck from being able to move out of state". If mom has no relationship with the child, and has not expressed any interest in having a relationship, and you have reasonable reasons for moving, its likely that you would be permitted by the courts to move.

However we also don't have any of your court paperwork in front of us to truly have a handle on what your overall situation is. Therefore, you should really take your entire file and go get a consult with a local attorney.

GrowUp! said:
What does your order say in regards to moving and giving notice since she does not have any ordered parenting time?

States that if either parties change address that we need to notify each other in writing with our address and phone number in the mail at the last known address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">