• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Distance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Made3489

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello,

I have been unable to find the law that would state what distance a custodial parent is allowed to relocate in Ohio. Can anyone please help?

If I am relocating 13 miles away and my ex does not want me to, can the court deny me?

Thanks!

LdiJ

Hello,

I have been unable to find the law that would state what distance a custodial parent is allowed to relocate in Ohio. Can anyone please help?

If I am relocating 13 miles away and my ex does not want me to, can the court deny me?

Thanks!
I don't think that there is a specified distance in the Ohio statutes. However, I would be extremely surprised if a judge would stop you from moving 13 miles. How far apart are you now, and how far apart will you be in total if you move?

Just Blue

Hello,

Thanks!
Perhaps. Depends.

What is your CO stating? How old is the child?

LdiJ

The child is 2 years old. Sorry, what is CO?
CO=Court Order

Unless your child is in daycare and dad has to take the child back and forth to daycare on some of his days, dad really has no basis to object to a 13 mile move.

He would have a basis to object if he has to transport the child to daycare some days. You might end up having to leave the child in the current daycare and do the extra distance transporting yourself.

Made3489

Thanks. Our court order does not state anything about relocation as we were planning to stay in the same town. Now I would like to move to another town because I believe it is a better community for the child because that town has better schools. I wonder if this rationale for moving will not be accepted?

Our child does not go to daycare. My ex is simply against me moving because he doesn't like me and just wants to prevent me from doing what I prefer.

LdiJ

Thanks. Our court order does not state anything about relocation as we were planning to stay in the same town. Now I would like to move to another town because I believe it is a better community for the child because that town has better schools. I wonder if this rationale for moving will not be accepted?

Our child does not go to daycare. My ex is simply against me moving because he doesn't like me and just wants to prevent me from doing what I prefer.
I absolutely cannot see a judge even remotely attempting to prohibit that kind of relocation.

Made3489

I hope you are right :) Yes, the towns are in the same state, but different counties. I wasn't sure if moving to a different county was a big deal.

CJane

I hope you are right :) Yes, the towns are in the same state, but different counties. I wasn't sure if moving to a different county was a big deal.
It's a big deal, only in the sense that you must follow the statute as far as notification goes. Dad can TRY to prevent a relocation, but he's unlikely to be successful unless there are specific things you're leaving out of your post. But that doesn't absolve you of a duty to NOTIFY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">