• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representing Pro Se and have no idea where or how to start

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prose&confused

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I reside in Louisiana. The case has been opened in Arkansas

I am the mother of two small boys (4 & 6) I was unmarried when the children were born in Arkansas. The father of the children signed both acknowledgement of paternity and birth certificates. Me and that father split up and began living separately while I was still pregnant with the 4 year old. The children lived with me as their sole provider from October 2010 (I was pregnant with the youngest) to October 2014. We (me and the children) split the time between Arkansas, where the children were born and the father's family resides and Louisiana, where I am from and where my family resides. In October 2014 I made an arrangement with the children's paternal grandmother (ex's mom) which stated the children would live under her care for the school year and then return to me. The father's mother drafted a form stating such and that I gave her temporary guardianship. We signed the papers in front of a notary and she took the boys to her home. The arrangement was made because I had gotten behind on bills because it is hard being a single mom of two without court ordered child support. I was being evicted and was changing jobs and houses this arrangement allowed me time to get caught up and back on my feet.

I visited the boys multiple times throughout the school year and tried to maintain constant phone contact, although that would become more and more difficult as time went on. I attempted to arrange to come pick them back up at the end of the school year which is when I was informed that the father of my children had filed for paternity and primary custody of the children. I was informed by his lawyer that they had attempted to serve me via certified mail but had sent the paperwork to my mother's home which is not my residence. I gave the lawyer my current address and still did not receive paperwork. The lawyer informed me that I could not come get my children that they were considered "wards of the state" because there is an open custody case. The lawyer then stated that if I wanted to see my children I would have to respond to the paperwork that I had not yet received. She agreed to scan and send me the paperwork via email and I received it.

She sent 3 separate documents.
1.The petition for paternity (which has a clause stating that "The Court should further Order that Petitioner e awarded primary custody of the minor children, subject to the Respondent's visitation, and that the parties should keep each other apprised of the minor children's residential address and phone number; and that Respondent pay a reasonable sum in child support."
2. A Consent, Waiver, and Entry of appearance. Which states that I waive service of process, agree to the order and waive any notice of any proceedings in this action and forego any right to attendance.
3. An "Agreed Temporary Order" which grants the father temporary custody.

I do not agree with any of these documents or the clauses within them.

I do not even know that the court they have entered the case into has jurisdiction or whether the courts where I am located would have jurisdiction. The Arkansas statute says that the children would have to have lived there 6 consecutive months at the filing date for their courts to have jurisdiction and the children had only lived there 2 months at that time.

I want to get my children and bring them back home. I don't know how to go about doing that. Can I get them and bring them home now since per Arkansas state law un-married mothers have sole custody until the father establishes paternity (which he has not yet) or will that get me in trouble? Can they keep me from even visiting my children? How to do I contest this? I don't have the money for an attorney and will have to represent Pro Se. I have done some research and am willing to put the work in, I just need some guidance.

Please if anyone has any advice or information let me know.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Paternity has already been established: http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/childSupport/custodialParty/Pages/paternity.aspx

If you respond to the lawsuit, you give them jurisdiction. Respond only with a denial of their jurisdiction and not one more extra point. See if you can hire an attorney just to write your denial.

Last edited:

Prose&confused

The kids have live in Arkansas for the better part of a year...
Yes at this point they have, but whenever he filed the petition they had only been there 2 months. The statue I read said they would need to have lived there for 6 consecutive months on the date of the filing. Is that wrong? I'm honestly unsure, that's what I'm asking.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes at this point they have, but whenever he filed the petition they had only been there 2 months. The statue I read said they would need to have lived there for 6 consecutive months on the date of the filing. Is that wrong? I'm honestly unsure, that's what I'm asking.
Generally, that is true. However, I'm not sure that it applies in your case.

Prose&confused

Generally, that is true. However, I'm not sure that it applies in your case.
Can you explain why?
Assuming it does not apply I would respond to the entire petition to the court, right? Do I send a copy to his lawyer too or no?
Also, and most importantly, am I able to go get my children and bring them back to Louisiana in the mean time until the court date?
Thank you so much for helping, I'm really at a loss and trying to come up with funds for a lawyer but that will take atleast one more paycheck (2 weeks) and I was given a deadline of Thursday by the father's lawyer.

Silverplum

Can you explain why?
Assuming it does not apply I would respond to the entire petition to the court, right? Do I send a copy to his lawyer too or no?
Also, and most importantly, am I able to go get my children and bring them back to Louisiana in the mean time until the court date?
Thank you so much for helping, I'm really at a loss and trying to come up with funds for a lawyer but that will take atleast one more paycheck (2 weeks) and I was given a deadline of Thursday by the father's lawyer.
I don't think you should go yank the children to LA: they are the subjects of a pending court case. Also, the link I gave you shows that Dad has established paternity.

You can't get through this by asking us every little procedural question, like if you should send a copy to his lawyer: those are things you have to find in the rules of civil procedure for the county in which Dad filed. (And always send a copy to his lawyer.)

A deadline for what? You've already had a couple of months to respond.

Prose&confused

I don't think you should go yank the children to LA: they are the subjects of a pending court case. Also, the link I gave you shows that Dad has established paternity.

You can't get through this by asking us every little procedural question, like if you should send a copy to his lawyer: those are things you have to find in the rules of civil procedure for the county in which Dad filed. (And always send a copy to his lawyer.)

A deadline for what? You've already had a couple of months to respond.
The lawyer told me I have to have the papers returned by Thursday. That's all I know. I know technically I have had months to respond but I have not actually had the papers in my hand until Friday when she emailed them. They tried sending the papers to an address where I do not reside, even after giving them my current address. Is there a way to find the civil procedure for the county? I've searched for information and have been unable to find much. That's what led me to this site.

Silverplum

The lawyer told me I have to have the papers returned by Thursday. That's all I know. I know technically I have had months to respond but I have not actually had the papers in my hand until Friday when she emailed them. They tried sending the papers to an address where I do not reside, even after giving them my current address. Is there a way to find the civil procedure for the county? I've searched for information and have been unable to find much. That's what led me to this site.
Yes: Google.

https://courts.arkansas.gov/rules-and-administrative-orders/court-rules

ETA More: http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-9/subtitle-2/chapter-10/subchapter-1/9-10-102

From 2011, you'll have to check to make sure it's still valid: http://www.arlegalservices.org/answer

I fear for your success if you haven't found much: representing yourself is hard work.

Last edited:

mommyanme

At the very least pay a consultation fee for an attorney that you MAY choose to help represent you.

http://www.arlegalservices.org/selfhelpfamilylaw

Prose&confused

Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't had much time to look into all this I just got the paperwork friday, sorry if I'm not extremely knowledgeable in the law. I'm upset at the prospect of not getting my children back and not being able to afford an attorney and having to make all these decisions and learn so much information in a matter of days. I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day to assist me.

Prose&confused

That is the #1 reason you should absolutely get an attorney. You cannot afford not to.

TD
I know that, that was my first course of action. I spent all day yesterday (the first business day after I received the paperwork) trying to find a lawyer here in Louisiana and one in Arkansas. However I can't afford one right now. If I had time to save that would be my plan. However, it will take me at least another two weeks to save up enough for half of a retainer, and I can't find an attorney who will work on a payment plan without half up front. That is the issue, I don't have 2 weeks. I have until Thursday for some reason. I don't know if that is the court date or if there is some other arbitrary reason. The lawyer stated the papers had to be returned, signed by then and would only repeat herself when I asked why.

Edited to add: I also have bad credit from the previous money issues I had and are unable to get a loan, because I also tried that. I do not have much family the one's I do have cannot afford to help me, and the same goes for the few friends I have.

Last edited:

mommyanme

I know that, that was my first course of action. I spent all day yesterday (the first business day after I received the paperwork) trying to find a lawyer here in Louisiana and one in Arkansas. However I can't afford one right now. If I had time to save that would be my plan. However, it will take me at least another two weeks to save up enough for half of a retainer, and I can't find an attorney who will work on a payment plan without half up front. That is the issue, I don't have 2 weeks. I have until Thursday for some reason. I don't know if that is the court date or if there is some other arbitrary reason. The lawyer stated the papers had to be returned, signed by then and would only repeat herself when I asked why.

Edited to add: I also have bad credit from the previous money issues I had and are unable to get a loan, because I also tried that. I do not have much family the one's I do have cannot afford to help me, and the same goes for the few friends I have.
Start with calling the local court there and asking if anything has been filed yet. You are being pressured to sign, it's a scare tactic and so is saying you can't see your children, that's what opposing attorneys do.

DO NOT SIGN anything she has sent you!!! She must also notify you of any court hearings, dates and times.

1. Breath and relax

2. I know it's late, but these are your kids, grab a cup of coffee and start reading the links NOW!

3. Understand that most judges will not take kindly to your ex or his attorney refusing you the ability to see your children!

4. Tell the attorney that you want service with the full complaint and pleadings at your current address and that you would appreciate access to visit your children and make the trip to see them, but also include that you have no intentions of removing them from Arkansas.

5. Call attorneys and ask about bundled services for now, you need more help with responding right now, this will not be a simple process unless you sign something and you never sign anything without knowing your rights!

6. Consider moving back to Arkansas if you want to have more custody than you may end up with living where you do now. Dad has status quo now, you have an uphill climb to go back to being primary custodian now. Hence the reason you are adamantly being told to get a lawyer, aside from the fact you have no legal knowledge.

single317dad

I'm confused about the timeline. You say you dropped your children off in Arkansas in October 2014, then attempted to pick them up in (presumably) May 2015. When was the case filed? Where does "2 months" come from?

If you want to receive important court documents at your correct address, find the court the case is filed in and update your address with them. After you do that, the judge will not be impressed with any service games played by the other side.

You absolutely should demand proper service of all documents.

I don't see where any claim was made that OP could not see the children, only that she could not take the children to La., which may be absolutely correct.

The reality is that you left your children in another state voluntarily for 7 months when no previous custody order had been made. This is going to be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">