• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive C/S in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newmomma123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello all - I have a question about child support. Does retroactive support apply to the date the parent was added to the birth certificate, the date a complaint for child support was filed or could it be from the date of a formal paternity test (not court ordered)? I'm thinking it would probably be from the date that the complaint was filed, but I would really appreciate some clarification.

I can't fathom how anyone can make it through law school. I just spent an hour trying to research this and my head is spinning from the legal jargon . . . :confused:

mistoffolees

Hello all - I have a question about child support. Does retroactive support apply to the date the parent was added to the birth certificate, the date a complaint for child support was filed or could it be from the date of a formal paternity test (not court ordered)? I'm thinking it would probably be from the date that the complaint was filed, but I would really appreciate some clarification.

I can't fathom how anyone can make it through law school. I just spent an hour trying to research this and my head is spinning from the legal jargon . . . :confused:
Commonly it is retroactive to the date the request for CS is made, but there are other options, as well:

Child Support Cases in Massachusetts

Proserpina

It is generally retroactive to the date the petition is filed. There are exceptions though, and if the petitioning parent requests that it should go back prior to the date of filing s/he may get lucky.

newmomma123

It is generally There are exceptions though, and if the petitioning parent requests that it should go back prior to the date of filing s/he may get lucky.
Yeah, luck usually avoids me, but heres to hoping . . .

Thank you for that link, mistoffolees. From what I read, retroactive support is usually dated back to when it was first filed, but in some instances it can be retroactive up to six years when a parent files a complaint to establish paternity and child support?

"no retroactive support order may be entered covering a period more than six years preceding the date of the complaint or any period before the defendant knew or should have known that he was the father of the child." <http://www.hgoldstein.com/cases/Dept-of-Revenue-v-Roe-1990.htm>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">