• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revised Standard Possesion Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

6kiddos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My divorce decree was finalized in 2006, and there has been a revision to the standard possession order as of 06/15/2007. Do the changes or revisions made in 2007 automatically get grandfathered into previous standard possession orders? Or do we have to go back to court to get those changes added into the order we have in our possession?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My divorce decree was finalized in 2006, and there has been a revision to the standard possession order as of 06/15/2007. Do the changes or revisions made in 2007 automatically get grandfathered into previous standard possession orders? Or do we have to go back to court to get those changes added into the order we have in our possession?
If they were changed in 2007 then they are an order. And anything not changed from the prior order is still in effect.

6kiddos

Christmas Exchange Dates

The new Standard Possession Order has the exchange for the Christmas to be December 28th while the one I have with me states December 26th. Could I keep the kids until December 28th without getting into trouble?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The new Standard Possession Order has the exchange for the Christmas to be December 28th while the one I have with me states December 26th. Could I keep the kids until December 28th without getting into trouble?
The new order controls where the old and new are in conflict.

LdiJ

The new order controls where the old and new are in conflict.
OG, I interpreted the OP's original post the same way that you did, but now I am thinking that perhaps we are interpreting it wrong.

I think that the OP is saying that they were ordered to follow the standard TX visitation "guidelines" in 2006, and that since that time, the standard TX visitation "guidelines" have been revised...in general revised. I don't think that the OP is stating that they went back to court and got new court orders.

If that is what the OP is talking about, then I would suggest getting a quick consult with a local attorney. The new "guidelines" may or may not automatically apply to the OP.

qurice

I think that the OP is saying that they were ordered to follow the standard TX visitation "guidelines" in 2006, and that since that time, the standard TX visitation "guidelines" have been revised...in general revised. I don't think that the OP is stating that they went back to court and got new court orders.

If that is what the OP is talking about, then I would suggest getting a quick consult with a local attorney. The new "guidelines" may or may not automatically apply to the OP.
It sounds to me like that is what OP is asking.

The order doesn't change because the state is following new guidelines. You current order would have to be changed. If the order doesn't make mention of something, the state guidelines would apply.

Your visitation dates would not change simply because the state is now issuing orders with different ones. Many times when the statutes change they will also state it applies to orders made after a certain date. Your order would need to be modified.

Plus, we have many people here who have "standard orders" from TX and NONE are the same.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG, I interpreted the OP's original post the same way that you did, but now I am thinking that perhaps we are interpreting it wrong.

I see what you are saying. And if that is true then the OP needs a consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">