• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

revoking parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tayles1999

illinois-my ex is over $9,000 behind in child support and is lucky if he sees our daughter (who is almost 5) once a month (that is his choice). i was told that his parental rights could be revoked. does anyone know anything about this? how does it work? i am remarried and my husband loves my daughter as if she were his own(and he is the one who has provided for her) and he would love to adopt her, but that wouldn't happen as long as my ex still has parental rights.

J

Jobi

This is what I know about this subject, but I live in Michigan. I don't imagine that the laws vary too much on this...My situation is very similar except that my ex has never made any attempt to come and be near his daughter. I wanted to start the process to have him relinquish his rights. I can tell you that a) your custody case worker should be able to refer you to a good family law attorney cause you're gonna need one. b)legal aid will NOT help you at all. They don't deal with family law, period. c) It's a lengthy, drawn out process that can sometimes turn into a battle. That's the way that the courts have designed things so that the child's best interests are met, which normally means that both biological parents are a part of the child's life. d) Prepare for discouragement from people. Apparently the courts frown upon having a parent relinquish rights unless someone is in harms way or in some danger, and even then....
I don't know that any of this helps, but I have been there and I wanted to share what i know. We decided, for my family, that we would wait until my partner and I were married and then when he was ready, he petitioned to adopt my daughter and all we had to do was get approval from her father, ie: he had to sign off on his rights. That, of course, is another story entirely:) Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">