• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoking Visitation Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kal

I live in New York State.

Three years ago my ex-husband and I sperated and visitation of my 3 small children (now 4, 5 and 6) has been a nightmare ever since.
In court I allowed him to choose the day and times he wanted to see the children. He never showed up on time, always 1 1/2 to 2 hours late or not show up at all without a phone call. Not to mention the fact that half the time he would only take 2 of the children. Then I cought him driving with my children while he had been drinking so I petitioned the court and had the visitation suspended until we went back to court. When we went back to Family Court the judge ordered supervised visits and allowed his girlfriend, who he lived with at the time, to supervise. Well of course that did not work he was still drinking and driving with them. At that time I had to have surgury, begining of 5/00 and was not able to drive for 6 weeks so I took advantage of the situation and told my ex that he was not visiting with the children until I was able to drive (Due to an OP he was not able to come near me or my residence). After the six weeks was up he never called to try to re-start the visits in the mean time my petition in Supreme Court for my divorce was coming up so I did nothing I figured I would wait and address the issue there. I was granted my divorce 9/00 I asked the Supreme court to modify the Family Court Order to have the Supervision done by Catholic Charities and they granted it and my divorce on default.
My ex was served his paper shortly after. He has never tried to set up the visits until now.
He has a drug and alcohol problem just this last year alone he has been arrested 3 times that I know of, once for DWI and twice for domestic violence (felony charges), is under investigation for fraud and staged a attempted suicide. Now I hear he was arrested for breaking and entering.
My youngest does not even remember him. I finally have my children in a stable enviroment and do not want to distroy that, plus I do not think he would keep the visits consistant. I feel that if he gets to keep his visitation rights and access them it will destroy my children mentally and emotionally. How can I have then revoked? Can I have then revoked?
I am not trying to be a nasty person, my only concern is protecting my children.
Any information that can be provided would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">