• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right into school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeyesm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Can a Bio parent stop a step-parent from helping/volunteering at the child's school? Whether it be a public or private school.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Can a Bio parent stop a step-parent from helping/volunteering at the child's school? Whether it be a public or private school.

Thank you.
The parent can request that legal strangers not be allowed to participate HOWEVER according to state law, public schools cannot discriminate. So if they allow other similarly situated legal strangers or stepparents then they get to allow the legal stranger in this situation.

However step-mom, your lack of respect for the actual parent of the child is quite telling as to why she wouldn't want you around. Try showing some respect.

nextwife

The parent can request that legal strangers not be allowed to participate HOWEVER according to state law, public schools cannot discriminate. So if they allow other similarly situated legal strangers or stepparents then they get to allow the legal stranger in this situation.

However step-mom, your lack of respect for the actual parent of the child is quite telling as to why she wouldn't want you around. Try showing some respect.
However, if it is the case the step parent also has their own kids at the school, they have every right to be active at THIER child's school.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
However, if it is the case the step parent also has their own kids at the school, they have every right to be active at THIER child's school.
Yes but maybe not in their step-child's classroom. Also it depends if the stepchild lives primarily in their home or not -- per FERPA.

justalayman

it isn't a matter of rights, as I see it. It is simply what the school will allow. As a stranger to every child in a school, I could go in and help with activities in a school and the parents would have no legal right to demand I not be allowed to. As the OP being a legal stranger to the child in question (remember how we keep telling people that), the mother has no more right to demand the legal stranger not be involved in her child's activities as she does me not be involved: none.

while the school will often acquiesce to the demands of a parent, they are not bound to.

Yes, this is one time I disagree with Ohiogal. While there may be privacy concerns to be dealt with, that does not allow the parent to demand who is or isn't allowed in the school in general.

nextwife

Yes but maybe not in their step-child's classroom. Also it depends if the stepchild lives primarily in their home or not -- per FERPA.
Agreed, but the thread asked about step parent volunteering at the school, not specifically their classroom. "School" could mean helping with planning the father/daughter dance, the bake sale, organize some school fundariser, etc. At my kids school, there were lots of non-classroom, whole school volunteer opportunities, I presume most schools are the same in this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
it isn't a matter of rights, as I see it. It is simply what the school will allow. As a stranger to every child in a school, I could go in and help with activities in a school and the parents would have no legal right to demand I not be allowed to. As the OP being a legal stranger to the child in question (remember how we keep telling people that), the mother has no more right to demand the legal stranger not be involved in her child's activities as she does me not be involved: none.

while the school will often acquiesce to the demands of a parent, they are not bound to.

Yes, this is one time I disagree with Ohiogal. While there may be privacy concerns to be dealt with, that does not allow the parent to demand who is or isn't allowed in the school in general.
Where did I say it did? What I stated is that if the school allowed other legal strangers to volunteer (some do, some don't) then they have to allow the step-parent if they are similarly situated (not a sex offender, have appropriate background checks and what not).

Private schools are a different issue however.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Agreed, but the thread asked about step parent volunteering at the school, not specifically their classroom. "School" could mean helping with planning the father/daughter dance, the bake sale, organize some school fundariser, etc. At my kids school, there were lots of non-classroom, whole school volunteer opportunities, I presume most schools are the same in this.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the school and whether it is public or private and their policies. That is the point.

mistoffolees

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the school and whether it is public or private and their policies. That is the point.
And OP simply did not provide enough information to answer the question.

I would be interested to know why CP thinks that stepparent shouldn't be involved. What's the back story?

There are certainly plenty of exceptions - if the step-parent has a TRO, then they probably can't be involved at the child's school. If the divorce decree somehow limits stepparent's involvement with the child during CP's parenting time, then the COURTS could enforce it (but the school would not be able to). And so on.

But, in general, children benefit from knowing that the adults in their lives care about them and their education, so why does it benefit the child to have stepparent kept away from the school in this case?

justalayman

Where did I say it did? What I stated is that if the school allowed other legal strangers to volunteer (some do, some don't) then they have to allow the step-parent if they are similarly situated (not a sex offender, have appropriate background checks and what not).

Private schools are a different issue however.
when you said:

"maybe" to Pro.

while the school can control the situation, the parent has no right to make any demands in this situation, at least to the school. If the parent wishes to argue the issue, a court is the only entity that can make demands of the school that must be respected.

In this quoted post, you and I agree but that is not what was asked by the OP and that is what I was speaking to when I said I disagree with you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
when you said:

"maybe" to Pro.

while the school can control the situation, the parent has no right to make any demands in this situation, at least to the school. If the parent wishes to argue the issue, a court is the only entity that can make demands of the school that must be respected.

In this quoted post, you and I agree but that is not what was asked by the OP and that is what I was speaking to when I said I disagree with you.
Misty I think beat me to it. It is a maybe because of court orders/restraining orders and such.
I have seen some private schools that prohibit anyone but those individuals approved by the custodial parent from participating. So it is POSSIBLE. There are also private schools that refuse to allow anyone from gaining information unless they are the custodial parent/legal custodian (it could be fought in court but that is in the private school contract -- currently have a case dealing with one such school).

justalayman

Misty I think beat me to it. It is a maybe because of court orders/restraining orders and such.
but that is not the parent expressing control. That is a court expressing control. All a parent can do is demand the court order be followed. The same with rules of the school. The parent can argue for the rules in place to be followed but they cannot demand a rule be put in place that would eliminate a step parent from participating at some level at the school.

I have seen some private schools that prohibit anyone but those individuals approved by the custodial parent from participating.
but this is a school limiting the activities, not the parent. While the parent ultimately must give their permission, it is only due to a rule the school has put in place so ultimately, it is the school and presumably, the school can alter the rule as they deem necessary.

There are also private schools that refuse to allow anyone from gaining information unless they are the custodial parent/legal custodian (it could be fought in court but that is in the private school contract -- currently have a case dealing with one such school).
gaining information? Just what info might be gained? The kid got an F in class? Of course there are already actual laws in place that limit privileged information from being dispersed beyond the parents but again, this does not give the parent any right to demand anything not already controlled by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">