• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Jury Trial on Conservatorship/Custody in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tex09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am considering filing a suit for modification of conservatorship/custody based upon a change in circumstances that affects the best interests of one of my three children.

This case was originally decided in a bench trial three years ago, and my children were allowed to be relocated out of Texas. I do not want the judge in this case to decide any custody matters in my case again.

If the suit for modification cannot be mediated, do I have a right to a jury trial on any disputed conservatorship/custody issues?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am considering filing a suit for modification of conservatorship/custody based upon a change in circumstances that affects the best interests of one of my three children.

This case was originally decided in a bench trial three years ago, and my children were allowed to be relocated out of Texas. I do not want the judge in this case to decide any custody matters in my case again.

If the suit for modification cannot be mediated, do I have a right to a jury trial on any disputed conservatorship/custody issues?
you absolutey have the right to have a jury trial. whether it is is worth it or not depends on what the change of circumstance it is, and if it falls under texas guidelines as a change of circumstance.

you don't get to cherry pick the judges.

LdiJ

you absolutey have the right to have a jury trial. whether it is is worth it or not depends on what the change of circumstance it is, and if it falls under texas guidelines as a change of circumstance.

you don't get to cherry pick the judges.
A jury trial will be extremely costly for you.

tex09

Thanks for the responses. I understood the right to jury trial applied to the custody issues in a divorce. I wasn’t sure whether it also applied to a post-divorce modification suit.

In some cases a jury trial is the only practical way to avoid a biased judge and level the playing field. In this case I will not allow another bench trial in front of the same judge to resolve important custody issues. Not as long as I have a right to a jury trial.

A jury trial will be extremely costly for you.
Such costs are double edged swords that cut both ways. Hopefully, the possibility of a jury trial will strongly encourage mediating a solution in the best interests of the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">