• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of the father on the birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nthnl_ewing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My question is this. Me and my wife started dating in August 2005. She had just split with someone who had gotten her pregnant and ran off. She had the the child in April 2006 and we put my name on the birth certificate. We then married in December of that year. Now the father who has had no contact with either us or my son in all these years wants to try and come back into his life. Neither me or my wife want this to happen. Is there any legal grounds on which he might be able go against our is there something we can do to stop him?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Absolutely. You are named on the birth certificate fraudulently. So... you can both get in trouble for that, AND he can file to have his paternity established.

Sorry, but he's not going to be your son, legally. Mom doesn't get to play musical Daddy. She picked him to impregnate her. Now all of you get to live with that choice.

LdiJ

My question is this. Me and my wife started dating in August 2005. She had just split with someone who had gotten her pregnant and ran off. She had the the child in April 2006 and we put my name on the birth certificate. We then married in December of that year. Now the father who has had no contact with either us or my son in all these years wants to try and come back into his life. Neither me or my wife want this to happen. Is there any legal grounds on which he might be able go against our is there something we can do to stop him?
If Missouri law allows him to come back into the picture 4 years later, to disestablish your paternity and establish his, then no, there wouldn't be anything that you could do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
MO law allows him until the child's age of majority to establish paternity. Mom and OP are out of luck if Dad chooses to do this.

Antigone*

Do you even realize what you and the child's mother have done to this child. you have created a lie that has come back to haunt all of you. This child is not your son, and if dad wants to be a part of this child's life then he has every right to seek visitation.

The title of your post is should read: The rights of a fraudster on a birth certificate.

AHA

Why? You knew you weren't.

LdiJ

Do you even realize what you and the child's mother have done to this child. you have created a lie that has come back to haunt all of you. This child is not your son, and if dad wants to be a part of this child's life then he has every right to seek visitation.

The title of your post is should read: The rights of a fraudster on a birth certificate.
The ironic thing about a case like this is if they had gotten married prior to the child being born, he would have been the father legally, even if not biologically.

However, since they married after the child was born, its paternity fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">